whats this gooey stuff??!

my 7 month old has this gooey stuff thats coming from her eye. just one of them. it's kind of yellowish and no mattter how many times i take it out it comes again and some times it floats around on her eyeball and i have to make her blink a couple of times to get it to the corner of her eye so i can wipe it. what is it?? does she need to go to the doctor?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 6:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she may need antibiotic drops. wipe with warm washcloth... i would call the doctor and describe to the nurse... she can give you further imput on whether or not to bring her in.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she has conjunctivitis. Don't get this anywhere near YOUR eye or anyone else's it's highly contagious! Head to the doc....you'll need antibiotic eyedrops for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You baby may not have to go to the doctor. Breast milk can be used in baby's eyes. It's worth a try.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• my daughter had the exact same thing you need to take your child in and get it tested to make sure its not a bacteria they will take a swab of some of the goo and test it....they gave my daughter ointment i had to hold the lower lid of her eye down and put the ointment in it and it cleared up after using it for one day....but definatly go get it checked before it spreads to the other eye
    TaiZombie

Answer by TaiZombie at 6:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• It could be an irritation sort of. My little boy got something similar one time. I think it was from the dirty bath water getting into his eyes. Ya know its gets built up, dirty sometimes with poo and pee. Just keep her eyes clean......and your bathtub. You can call a nurse at your pediatricians office and ask if they recommend any over the counter cleaning goop or drops for her eyes.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• dont listen to gaill and put milk in your babys eyes. call the babys pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• if you are breastfeeding then yes breastmilk is perfect for pink eye.

Breastmilk has been used by mothers (probably for many years) to treat infectious conjunctivitis. Secretory IgA is an immunoglobulin, present in colostrum and mature human milk. It has been found to inhibit the adherence or bacteria to mucosal surfaces and limits bacterial colonization of the eye.

Just google breastmilk eye. Here is one of the links that poped up http://www.blisstree.com/breastfeeding123/breast-milk-cures-pink-eye-conjunctivitis/
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• sounds to me like its a blocked duct. my youngest had one for her first 5months.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I called the pediatricain about the same thing and they just called in some eye drops to the pharmacy, I didn't even have to take her in. If it's a blocked duct you should be able to put warm compresses on it and massage it a little to help get all of the stuff out of it. If it doesn't go away after about a day, then call for them drops!
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2009