What if your kids' school decided there would be no more homework?

The smart kids, the kids that parents that can help, and the kids that have organized homes get even further ahead when schools have homework. Would you back your kid' school if they decided to do away with homework.

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 7:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I would change schools.. I feel the practice helps them learn.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• we'd do extra worksheets and stuff at home.

practice outside of school - lets them get more done, and lets me see how they're doing
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Change schools to one without lazy teachers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The kids who are from homes with parents who are unwilling or unable to help their child would fall even further behind. More often than not, these are low income homes. It just continues the cycle of poverty. It may seem a bit extreme but that's the long term possibility of what would happen if schools ended homework.

I'm considered low income, and I would still provide homework that I deemed necessary based on what was being taught in class.
    Anonymous

• Actually I would. As long as my children were receiving the same quality and quantity of education, then I dont see how that would be a problem. The only reason for homework is to teach the kids discipline and independence. Now compare that study to those of kids who do not have parents to help them. They may in fact be more discipline and independent as adults. Im not against homework, but Imnot really for it either. I dont see the major effects, and I certainly dont see any negative outcome as a result. 

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• While on the one hand I would LOVE to not have that battle every night...I would not want them to do away with homework. I'd find ways to reinfirce the teaching. (Except maybe the math...I know my limits!)

Answer by gdiamante at 7:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I would love and encourage that. I think that schoolwork should be learned at school and that time spent at home should be with family and on subjects of the parents choosing. If a teacher can't fit everything the child needs to learn into a 5-6 hour day, there's something wrong.
    Homework is one of the main reasons I am considering homeschooling. I just don't believe doing dittos and busywork will enrich my kids lives in the way that I would with that time. Projects and essays are different, some things do need to be worked on/finished up at home...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I actually had a problem like this. My children are in special ed. One particular teacher was "too busy" to make up homework for 17 children who were at various levels of development. We went round and round about it. My kids need as much help as they can get. So I wrote to another friend of mine who gave me a good list of websites and we did homework.
    So no I would not support doing away with homework. It teaches more than the skills, it also teaches time managment and responsibility. And it's a good way to keep up with what they are doing in class.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Not ever going to happen. My son's school is very big on family involvement. Even my preschooler's class sends things home for family projects.

If they did ever change these things, they better be able to back up their reasons for doing so.
    Anonymous

• I would LOVE it if schools banned or heavily limited homework. There's actually a strong argument against it.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 8:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009