Cleaning a baby's gums?

At what age should I start cleaning my son's gums? I've seen the little kits with the finger brush, but no one has mentioned it to me. Anyone have any idea?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don'tnecessarily have to. Those kits are there to sooth the itching and burning that babies have while teething. If you want to you can brush your babies teeth at first "full" arrival, but it really isn't mandatory. Whatever you decide be careful not to clean/brush with fluoride until your kid is at least 3years of age.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• They have gum cleaner for infants starting at 4 months with a rubber finger cover and the gum cleaner is safe to swallow.
    Anonymous

• Well there is no scientific evidence that those things dramatically help or change anything. The cleanser that is safe to swallow does not have fluoride in its ingredients, b/c its a poison and is not safe for consumption by infants. Heads up mama, you wont be missing out on anything.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I live in Canada and the public health nurse told me that us moms should start cleaning their gums anytime. She said to just use a clean wash cloth with just water and clean the inside of their mouths, it's that easy!!! You don't need to spend money on other junk. Hope this helps.=-)
    meeshelmybel

Answer by meeshelmybel at 7:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2009