Any tips on informing family that DH going overseas?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

1. Help me & DH tell in laws that he is going to Iraq to work for one year without my MIL freaking out, and causing a scene & making it all about her as she always does.
2. Help DH tell his Dad who lives with us that he has to find a place to live by the time DH leaves. FIL's brother lives 20 miles from us & he's always there anyhow.
3. Help us inform in-laws that DH's leaving does not change our plans for Christmas. We are not going anywhere on Christmas Day, and no one is coming to our house. We will celebrate with them on already agreed upon day.
4. Help us tell in-laws that DH doesn't need the stress of their random problems and b.s. from 7000 miles away. Also that he will call when he can, but our boys come 1st, then me.
5. Help me not strangle my overbearing nosey lying MIL when DH is gone. :)

This message will self destruct in 5...4....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ah.

Well, here's the deal. YOU know the truth. Who gives a damn what anyone else thinks?

Give FIL his eviction notice now. Give him a week.

Stick with your holiday plans. Don't answer the phone, don't open the door. Use that tactic often even after the holidays.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Can you wait until after Christmas to tell them?
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 7:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Oh you too? We just got orders also. We are telling them after Christmas so no one changed their plans.
    Anonymous

• 1. Inevitable, I'm afraid. I have one of those MILs too.
    2. Does FIL *have* to leave? And in what time frame?
    3. Do you have to tell them before Christmas? How much time to deployment?
    4. Say exactly that. Since communication is kind of tricky anyway, let them write letters or e-mails but understand they may not get immediate responses.
    5. Don't let her in the house without an appointment.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• We have to tell before Christmas, because he is leaving before Christmas. As soon as he gets his paperwork in order, they tell him what day he's leaving. Yes, FIL has to leave. He has had 9 months to make other arrangements. He was supposed to be out by the time I had our baby in JUNE. He has spent his time at his family "beer camp" instead of getting a place to live. He is rude, selfish, sloppy, smoking and letting smoke in my house, he's on parole, still a drunk, a big time liar, etc. I'm not cleaning up after 3 kids AND his Dad. DH has two other siblings that CAN help him out but haven't. FIL's family lives right down the road. He's there now. He's there 99% of the time, but he won't actually get his stuff and move it. DH said he and his siblings need to work something out before he leaves. If I do it myself, no matter how I handle it, he'll go lying about what I say to everyone and it'll cause problems.
    Anonymous