Please, anybody who knows...?

There's a lot of blood in my 2-month-old puppy's poop. I just got her yesterday so I'm new to this. Do I need to worry? She's a Shih Tzu and she's also breathing weird.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pets

• She could have worms. I would take her to the vets very soon if not tonight.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Find an ER vet and go.
    Anonymous

• worms, punctured bowel, or PARVO- i would be highly concerned, and call the emergency vet. it is likely that she ate something that has caused a bowel perforation. if she had parvo, she would also be vomiting bile, and panting....
    emergency vet, now. and i am not a person who over reacts. just so you know, we usually ride things out, but when blood is involved, its always a good idea to seek medical help... esp when respiration is out of whack too.
    good luck, to you and your fur baby.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Where is she on her shots? If its bright red blood she's probably torn something by having a bowel movement. Otherwise, I'd call a vet.
    Anonymous

• I would go to the emergency vet-NOW! It could be parvo which can most certainly be fatal or with the breathing issue it could be a respiratory infection-which again can get very bad fast. He blood could also be worms, but with the other symptom as well I would be at the vet asap. Did you get the puppy from a breeder, backyard breeder or petstore? If one of the last two my first guess would be parvo. If you got her from a good breeder call them now and take it to their vet.
    Anonymous

• When I first got my puppy she did the same thing. If it continues until tomorrow I would take her. But my puppy was fine. It probably just worms. It could also be the puppy food her body getting use to it. It doesn't sound like parvo. Just keep an eye on her. Well best of luck to you.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My first rottweiler puppy was doing this when we first got him. I took him to the vet and he has HOOK worms. The vet said he could have died from this. I'm not trying to scare you...please take the puppy to be on the safe side. Chance had to have three rounds of antibiotics to clear them up. Best wishes...I hope it ends up being nothing.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 9:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yes call the vet. I have two dogs and have never seen that happen.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Bright red blood means a problem in the large intestine. If the puppy is having diarrhea, I would be concerned and get the pup to a vet ASAP. If the stool is solid, but there is blood, it is also not good and the pup should be seen. Typically worms will not cause blood unless there is a large worm burden - and in those cases, there is usually diarrhea. Upper respiratory problems can be very contagious so I'd be careful if you have other dogs. Let the vet know that the puppy is having breathing problems before you go in - that way they can keep you away from other dogs in the hospital for health purposes. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Also, contact the person you got the puppy from and let them know she is sick so that they are aware to watch for any problems with any pups they have left. If one has worms, most likely the others do too since puppies can often and typically get worms from breastmilk.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2009