Would your god/gods take offense if you were participating in a ritual from another religion to honor family?

As in going to a Christian or Catholis baptism if your are not. For Christians, would your god take offense if you went to a Beltaine celebration if it was in honor of your ancestors?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• is beltaine a god or pertaining to a god? then, yes, my God would be offended (see 'ten commandments'..lol)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• As a Christian my God is offended by my celebrating in or serving anyone I consider or treat as a god. I don't see my ancestors as gods so I don't think the celebration you mentioned would apply. But I don't know anything about Beltaine either. :)
    If I celebrate, worship or serve money its considered a god and yes He's offended. Great question...I wonder how this works in other religions.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i dont have any..so i can do whatever i want..look at all points of views and listen to what i want.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think there would be problems if you had to participate in a way directly contrary to the teachings of your beliefs.

But most family events, you just sit there and smile, and hug your family when their done, and I think they're just fine for people of most beliefs.
    Anonymous

• It depends. I don't know what God thinks but I believe he wants us to show love and respect for each other. I only believe in one God so I wouldn't go to a ritual if it meant worshiping another god. I wouldn't want to be disrespectful to my friends or family but this is against what I believe and I would decline to go.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I agree with Anon 9:13.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I love my family dearly,but I wouldn't do anything that I felt was against God.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yes He would.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Any event that I would participate in (whether being strictly Christian, or Pagan, or Muslim) I would be doing in a celebration of my personal faith with God. I would expect anyone attending my religious ceremonies to feel the same way (in regards to their personal faith). Only if that ceremony were to directly contradict a firm law or commandment in my faith would I refuse.

In my opinion God is honored the most by our intentions. If I went to a Bar or Bat Mitvah as a Christian I believe that God would understand my understanding that this coming of age ritual was a blessing from Him. If I were to attend a baptism as a person of Jewish faith, I would feel the same. etc, etc.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Not at all. We are encouraged to love and honour everyone. I am on a Pagan path and we do Christmas for MIL all the time. And when my mother visits, it's the same.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009