weaning

My 17 month old daughter has been breastfed exclusively since birth. She doesn't eat good and would bearly drink anything besides water out of her sippy cup. I think she has had enough and I'm tired of her on my breast all the time. How do I wean her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Drop one feeding at a time. She should be eating table foods by now. If you want to go cold turkey you can but I think that it will be devastating for her and painful for you at the same time. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My oldest was like that. She refused. I just went cold turkey. I had to starve her for a day. I felt like the most horrible person on the planet but it work. She started eating.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yes she now needs nutrients from other foods so its important that you start. Start giving her whole milk in a sippy cup as a replacement. When she wants the booby offer the milk instead. She will refuse for awhile but you'll have to be strong and wait it out. She won't be able to starve herself. You can also give her tasty snacks instead of your breast. The gerber puffs worked great for me until she would eat real food. I hated giving her processed food but she wouldnt eat anything else so it was good transition for us. Try different flavors til you find what she likes best.
    Let your last ones to go be before bedtime and in the morning because those are typically comfort based. I hope that helps. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I suggest you drop 1 feeding a time around your normal meals and go from there. The first morning nursing and bedtime ones are probably going to be the hardest to drop but who knows, you might not mind it so much if those are the only times she asks KWIM??? Going cold turkey is just not a good idea between the stress on your baby and the risk of clogged ducts and mastitis.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2009