I'm taking my 17 month old to a parade, and the temperature will be in the upper 30's/ low 40's...how do I bundle her up so she's warm enough?

We live in the NY State, so we're used to the cold...but she is only a toddler, so she's not used to it (yet!).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter is 2, but she's about the size of a one year old. She's only 23lbs. She's TINY. I plan on going to parade tomorrow too I'll probably put her in leggings, with either jeans or sweatpants over them. Then probably a long sleeve onesie, a sweatshirt, and her winter jacket. Plus a hat, and gloves. And that will probably be good enough I think.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Coat, hat, gloves, good warm clothes, socks and shoes. Bring a blanket to wrap you both in and hold her close for body heat. You wouldnt happen to be in Dallas would you? Theres a big children's parade here tomorrow.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• OP

We live near Binghamton, NY...about a three-hour drive north of NYC.
    Anonymous

• Good luck but I wouldn't take a small one to a parade in that weather.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't take a child that young out in that weather. I do live in the south, so we aren't as well prepared for cold days as you guys are, but you're not talking about just getting from point A to point B in the cold. You're talking about hanging out at a parade in the cold. I just wouldn't take a toddler under 4 out that long in the cold.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I live in WI and when my kids go outside in the winter I dress them in layers. I start with a t-shirt, then a sweatshirt, coat, hat, mittens. It would be a good idea to take a blanket- so you can snuggle her up in it if she feels cold.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:27 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

OP

Oh please. If I stayed inside when the weather got that cold, I wouldn't be able to leave my house for at least three months out of the year! Cold weather is a way of life for us northeasterners. When my daughter was less than a year old, I went outside with her when the weather was 25 degrees. Yes- 25 DEGREES! And she was just fine. She didn't get her first cold until she was 10 months old.

I know it's hard for people who live in warmer climates to understand, but life doesn't stop when the weather gets colder. That's why God invented snowsuits for babies!!!

Ask a Canadian mother (or a mother in Alaska) if they thought upper 30's/low 40's was too cold to take their children out. They'd laugh in your face.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Dec. 5, 2009