if you dont believe in god or anytype of higher being.. do you still say god bless you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• absolutely not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I say bless you out of habit if someone sneezes.
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 10:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I heard a history about this - back in the middle ages when there were plagues going around, and the Pope encouraged everyone to bless a anyone who sneezed. Apparently one of the symptoms of the illness was sneezing I guess. To answer the question, I would say no, but I don't see a conflict is saying it either, it's just convention or form or politeness.

shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 10:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i rarely say bless you or God bless you when people sneeze.. stopped doing it but not because I dont believe in God because I do and I'm a Christian.

The reason I don't say it is the reason behind it... the bless your or God bless you started because it was believed that when you sneezed you were manifesting a demon and they would say God bless you to ward off the demon...

I do say God bless you to certain people when they sneeze but that's because I do think they are manifesting a demon... LOL
    Anonymous

• I say bless you- but not God bless you
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Nope.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• "bless you" or "Gesundheit!"
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I say bless you not god bless you.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I say slainte, it's Irish for health.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Uh, no. I do not acknowledge people's bodily functions, and I certainly prefer they refrain, as well. It's a huge pet peeve of mine that people feel this is necessary. It's even more of one when people in my offline life are so freaking obsessed with it, they start carrying on lecturing someone for not saying it. If people must say it, fine. But last I checked there was no mandatory ruling that states it has to be said.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2009