Sleep deprivation at 18-months-old! HELP!

Quick overview. Our daughter was a great sleeper until she started climbing out of her crib 2 months ago. Toddler bed was a no-go. We now lay down on the couch with her til she falls asleep and then put her in her bed. She'll sleep a few hours, then bring her blanket and pacifier in our room. We never sleep. One night I tried letting her cry it out, and it only lasted about 45 seconds because she reached a new level of screaming, and she sounded absolutely terrified. I don't know if she's afraid of the dark or what, but I'm open to suggestions! We're trying to establish a sound routine with her, but still she wakes several times a night and comes in our bed. At that point we're both exhausted that we usually let her stay in our bed, but we get no sleep because she's such a restless sleeper. So ladies, it's time to post what's worked for you! Ready, set.... GO! Thanks! :)

brittynicjones

Asked by brittynicjones at 10:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We used the book the book Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems by Ferber... it talks about sleep problems for all ages... I would check that book out if you haven't aleady.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My dd is 18 months as well. I totally have heard the New level of screaming! Its horrible! Ok with that said. If shes been changed and isnt sick i would offer her a quick hug and then maybe a sippy cup of water in case shes thirsty. then I would lay her back down. I usually do this and then let her cry for as long as i can stand it :( Then ill go back in and not pick her up but reassure her that shes ok and then i shut her door and i dont go back in. Oh shes not in a crib...you might have to put a child safety lock on the inside of her door to keep her in there just during the night.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2009