How was your breastfeeding experience?

From the beginning of my pregnancy I 've been wanting to breastfeed. Now that I'm getting closer to my due date (dec.16th), I getting so scared to breastfeed. I have no positive feedback on breastfeeding from my family. My mom thinks its gross that someone will be sucking on my tits. ( immature i know!) My sister says its too painful. I'm torn, I want to give my baby the best start but without support I feel lost. And on top of that I'm thinking of the costs of breast pumps. We don't have the money to buy those breast pumps that cost $100+ dollars. Plus all the accessories. Any suggestions. I really need help.

mommy2be121609

Asked by mommy2be121609 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Crappy. I wanted to nurse for a year but it only lasted 2 weeks. After I switched to formula it was way better though.
    ProudMom093083

Answer by ProudMom093083 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I nursed for 13 months and it was a good experience for me. The connection we had while I was nursing and looking into her eyes was just beautiful. Plus I felt really good about the nutrition I was giving her that formula couldn't. Don't listen to your family. This decision is only about you and your baby. The price of the pump will vary and there are ways to get free or discounted pumps if thats what you really want to do. The Breastfeeding moms group on here has lots of good info too.
    PS it only hurts if its done wrong. I had a lactation consultant with me around the clock at the hospital so when I got out I was a pro!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• First of all, breast pumps are way cheaper than formula in the long run.

Anyway, at first my experience was terrible. He wouldn't latch and was loosing weight and I had no support (that includes no help from LLL). For a week I cried and cried until I accepted the fact that he would have to bottle fed. That's when he latched. Even though it was so tough at first I'm glad I did it. For me a huge reason was that breast milk is free. I just couldn't spend money on formula knowing I could produce food for free. Also his whole digestion system seemed to work much better my friend's formula fed babies. He never spit up or was gassy. There are tons of health benefits, but for him, that one was obvious.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• 1st -- You don't need a pump unless you're going back to work. I just have the Medela $35 hand pump to relieve engorgement and to pum if I'll be out long enough to miss a feeding.

2nd -- It doesn't hurt at all for some women. For most of us it hurts the first 2 to 5 weeks. You dealth with 9 months of discomfort with the pregnancy. The few weeks that breastfeeding hurts is nothing really. The main reason it hurts is that most babies mouths are tiny (especially if they come early) and this causes your nipple to rub the hard pallette of their mouth. This stops just as soon as baby grows a bit. My babies come early and are tiny, so it takes nearly 5 weeks for breastfeeding to get comfortable for me. Most moms experience pain or discomfort for the first 2 weeks.

3rd -- Formula over the course of a year is going to cost way more than even the priciest pump. Formula is expensive.

(cont'd)
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I got my pump free through my insurance. Look into that. And I breast fed for like two months with my first and then we got thrush and it became too painful. Then with my son, I couldnt BF...he wouldn't latch on right.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• (cont'd) You may find this link helpful: Is Breastfeeding Right for Me?

I BF my first for over 15 months (the last 5 of those months I was pregnant with our 2nd baby).  I BF my second for 10.5 months.  I've BF through mastitis and through thrush.  Feel free to message me with any BFing questions.  Also, join the BF groups here at CafeMom for some great information.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have been breastfeeding for several years now, since I first became a mother. (so far, so good, lol!)

What you do need is a good support system. Our families can find other ways to help us when we have our new babies, let a group like La Leche League and new moms groups be your support for breastfeeding. It will make a HUGE difference to have supportive & informed women around you. You can call on them anytime...
    Heck you can call me. Let me know if *I* can help!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• 1. I bought the $60 pump from medela (sp) it worked GREAT! I only used it because dd would visit inlaws for a few hours every saturday.
    2. Join breastfeeding support groups! Check into your local LLL .. Ask your Dr. if the hospital will have an LLL on hand when you deliver (an LLL came into my room a few hrs after birth & came every few hrs after that once I told her I wanted to BF. I could have called for her any time during my stay at the hospital. It was GREAT. Maybe you could chat to some woman in your area for support. The only person I knew that nursed was my sister & she lives 18hrs away :( but the first time i seen her nurse I knew when I had a kid I would nurse as well!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I breastfed both my daughters. The first one for 7 months, the second for 8 months. I had to stop because my milk was slowing down. It was hard in the beginning with my first. We were living in another country so I didn't have anybody. I got sores on my nipples, and had to pump for the first 2 weeks. After I healed I sat down one night and started all over again and that helped. Trust your instinct, and KEEP AT IT! Even if it starts to hurt, keep going. It will pass. Get as much help as you can at the hospital before you go home, and contact Le Leche League. They will help you.
    I wish you good luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• 3. The first 2mo was the hardest for me (but worth it)... It was a learning experience & an adjustment (breast are not use to that much touching!) but Ill say the day I looked down & realized we where doing it with no problems.. It was about just as amazing as birth. Me & my dd had concoured it together!! No ONE can give birth for you & NO ONE can nurse your child! So to accomplish these things with a child is just an amazing feeling! I nursed for 20mo. & enjoyed every second.
    4. Do the research. Print it out & educate your family! There is so many reasons out there! Free.Better Health (u & baby). For some it can delay the return of period (yay)! No bottles to clean! No mixing bottles (co-sleep & nursing = more sleep for baby & mom!) Less dr. visits (bfers get sick less. less ear infections. ect) You never have to worry about running out of breastmilk. or forgetting it at home!
    YOU CAN DO IT!! :-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009