How do I wean off of formula?

DD will be a year in just a few days..so what do I do just stop giving her formula?? I dont know how this works?? so do I just stop giving formula and then give only solids and water, and milk?? Do I need to feed her more then 3 times a days plus snacks... im sorry I have NO clue what im supposed to do..she is my first child..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mix half formula half "Whole" milk for 3 or 4 days. Then just start giving her only milk. She does not need juice. She can get Vitamin C from fresh fruit. Also give her water. Then 3 meals a day and 2 or 3 snacks.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• first as far as stopping the formula first start off doing like 2oz milk w6oz formula for a 8 oz bottle after a week or so do half and half. then do 6oz milk 2oz formula then go ahead and go all milk. I suggest whole imilk so your baby still gets the vit d he/she needs. Keep the bottle whenthey want it. And as far as bottle goes try the nuby sippy cups they are really similar to bottles and are great. Go with the flow for your baby if it seems like there not ready then take it slow. Same with solids stick with whatever kind of baby food your giving them now and just add one thing per meal like do the baby food and like give them a little bit of whatever your eating. start wtih softer foods and just like i said go with the flow of fyour baby/
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Do not switch to milk unless she is eating TABLE FOODS. Baby food does not have the nutrition or calories that she needs.

If she is eating table foods (you said solids and that usually refers to baby food) then just switch. There is no need to "wean" there is no need to mix it with formula, just start giving her milk.

She should already be eating 3 meals a day of table foods, a few snacks (2-3) and eating a balanced diet before you take away the formula. She has to be able to get her nutrition somewhere.

Get rid of the bottle and use a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My dr told me for the first week or so to give 2% that way if theres a reaction it wont be as severe. Then if theres no reaction you can just start giving whole milk.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2009