How long does it take to go through a miscarriage?

My husband and I found out on Monday that we have a "blighted ovum." My egg was fertilized and attached itself to my uterus, but an embryo never grew. I've thought I was pregnant since September. My HCG levels were normal and on track because my sac was growing. I started bleeding a couple of weeks ago and it's finally getting heavier. I know it can take up to even two more weeks and then I will continue to bleed after the tissue passes. I don't know what to expect. I'm scared to go to the bathroom anywhere but my own home. I would hate to lose it in an uncomfortable setting, I fear it may be traumatic. We have a six month old baby and she is perfectly healthy without any problems during the pregnancy. We're confident about future pregnancies but my concern is right now. Again, I just don't know what to expect. I didn't think this would ever happen to me.

MommyToMarsae

Asked by MommyToMarsae at 10:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an early miscarriage last December, and took about 3.5 weeks for the bleeding to stop, and a couple more for my HcG levels to go below 5. I did pass a couple rubbery clots about halfway through.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know this has got to be hard with the holidays around the corner. You're in my thoughts
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 10:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• First let me say how very sorry I am that you lost your baby. I had a miscarriage myself and I know what you are feeling.

I had my miscarriage May 2005. It did not take weeks to miscarry, it was about 3 days. I carried the baby to 8 weeks but sadly it grew only to 6 weeks. I did not have to have a D&C, thankfully and we later went on to conceive and give birth to a happy and healthy baby boy who will be 4 in February.

As far as being able to leave the house, there was no way I could of left the house. I don't feel real comfortable giving the full detalis here but you can pm me if hearing more about my experience would make you feel more prepared.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 10:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I am sorry you are having to go through this.

My best friend and I were so excited in June to find out that we would be pregnant together. In July for her first ultrasound she was given the same news, she had a fertillized egg and a sac but no fetus growing inside. It devistated her. It took her about 2 weeks to start passing tissue but she ended up having a D&C done to remove the remaining tissue and she still bled afterward and was in some minor pain from the procedure.

Again, I am sorry for your loss and wish you and your husband the best of luck and condolences.
    spcjones_83

Answer by spcjones_83 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I guess I wonder why it takes so long? It seems that other miscarriages that are not a blighted ovum are quick, but come with pain. I have had light "period like" cramps, but nothing horrible. A lot of bleeding and a lot of small pieces of tissue. I keep wondering... almost hoping... when I will see the whole sac pass. Why did she have to get a D & C? My doctor told me it usually happens naturally but I fear if I keep passing only small pieces, it will result in the same thing. He also said because it happens naturally I will not need a check up. But, if I get an infection, that could damage or even prevent a future pregnancy, couldn't it? All angles seem horrible!
    MommyToMarsae

Answer by MommyToMarsae at 12:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• So. Wow. It happened... I passed a golf ball sized clot at about 6:30pm. I started bleeding so much I filled three pads or so. Tonight was supposed to be my husband's Christmas Dinner. Before we left for the dinner I passed another clot that was larger than before. I bled through about 2 more pads. I'm talking overnight pads. I passed one more really large clot in the bathroom of the restaurant. I tried to sit through the dinner while I had excruciating pain... what felt like contractions. I finally couldn't take it anymore and we drove towards the hospital. We got a hold of the Dr on call before we went straight to the Emergency Room. She said the things I was describing can happen and she wouldn't be concerned until I took some ibuprofen to calm the pain. If the severe bleeding and pain continued another hour (this was all about an hour and a half), then to call again... I'm exhausted. I'll be resting for a while, I think.
    MommyToMarsae

Answer by MommyToMarsae at 10:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I've heard of women who have had miscarriages saying it felt like labor. I'm so sorry this is happeniing but I hope the worst is over.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 11:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2009