this is crazy...can animals get high from drinking tree water? (also in just for fun)

my husband seems to think that the cats are acting crazy from drinking the christmas tree water...??? any opinions

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pets

• You have a binge and purge kitty!! I had to live with one of those in college. His "body perception issues" caused him so many problems. He would eat weird things too like paper or tape. His chronic bulimia caused chronic yeast infections in his ears.

Pine sap isn't good for kitties. Keep him out of it. Get a squirt gun or two.

Try feeding him very controlled amounts on a schedule. A grain-free food might help.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Silly. If you could get high from drinking tree water there would be a lot more crackheads celebrating Christmas.
    Anonymous

• the cat has been eating the branches like its catnip too
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No, they won't get high. I would however discourage it as much as possible or find a way to block their access to it. The water is simply not clean and they run the risk of having digestive problems if the drink it. Many people also have additives in the water which can be poisonous or toxic to them. Keep your pets safe and away from the tree if you can't block their access. Put them up if you are unable to watch them
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Eating the branches and leaves can cause vomiting or diarrhea, again, I recommend keeping the cat away.
    Tuzyae

• no..this cat is usually always vomiting...its funny that he hasnt done it yet the past week eating the tree
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• OT - If the cat is always vomiting, that is not good. I'd talk to your vet about that. Make sure there isn't a health issue or a dietary problem. Even cats that get hairballs shouldn't "always" be vomiting.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• well he does get hairballs...and i believe he has anxiety issues over being fed (he thinks he has to have food in his bowl 24/7)..but thats a whole different subject and usually people piss me off with their opinions because they pretty much call me an animal abuser.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• OT - heh, my cat also thinks he should have food 24/7. There is no way that is happening! He'd be as big as my dog!
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 4:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• ecodani...yes...our cat also eats plastic! He loves plastic bags and wrappers.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2009