Is it awkward to give my baby two last names?

I want to give my baby boy due dec.16th my boyfriend's last name. Honestly I don't like his lasy name. Its Muhammad. It has no family history. When my boyfriend was born his dad decided he wanted to change religions and give his son a muslim name. And before my bofriend's dad died he changed religions again. I don't wanna give my child some fly by night name that has no family history behind it. Just because is dad changed religions like he changed underwear. If anything i think my baby should have the paternal grandfather's legal name. (my bf isn't muslim). Thats a constant argument me and my bf have. I was wondering if its crazy to give the baby both of our last names in hyphenation. I aready told my bf that when we get married, I"m not getting rid of my last name and that I would hyphenate. How would you handle this in my situation?

mommy2be121609

Asked by mommy2be121609 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i've responded to your post before...did you talk to him about it? i think it sounds good if he agrees to use muhammad as a middle type name then your last name (having 2 last names) because muhammad sounds like a first name also. T
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• sorry...then when you get married you can do the same with your name and maybe he will be willing to take your name to? did you ask him if taking your name is something he would consider?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have know of other women that have done this with their children. I also hyphenated my last name, this has become pretty common among women now.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Shay1130...., I did talk to him about it but he acts like it doesn't matter. He's so nonchalant about everything. I'm really pressing the issue because my due date is approaching and I'm the only one concerned. It's hard because I'm trying to do what makes sense and what best for my baby in the long run. I would like for all of us to eventually have the same last name. I know my brother and I have different father's and my mom gave him my dad's last name. So my mom,my brother, and I all had the same last name and thats something that I do like. It sounds really bad to say but honestly I don't like Muhammad because my bf still gets picked on about his name to this day and I don't want my son going through that. Its shallow i know but thats not our religion and i don't want to put tradition in a name thats not our religion.
    mommy2be121609

Answer by mommy2be121609 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I don't think you'd be crazy but I do think it would be a bit much (thinking into the future w/ his signature and all) but ultimately its what works for you and bf.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i would be a little more stern with your bf...i would be like "look, we are about to have a child, and i dont want you to hate me later down the road for giving our son my last name since you arent expressing your opinion...so either tell me what you want, or dont come bitching later" He may feel like what he wants doesnt really matter because if its not what you want then you arent going to be happy. Do you want him to have an opinion or do you just want him to agree with you? If you really care about his opinion then be totally care free and say something like "honey, i've been stressing so much with this name thing and i really dont care as long as we are together, i just want all of us to be happy and healthy and i would rather you decide because i'm so stressed"...then maybe you can see how he really feels about the situation.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i am hyphenating my son's last name when he is born (due dec 18). his father and i are not married and are no longer a couple. we have decided that is the best thing to do...no confusion.
    jellybelly25

Answer by jellybelly25 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009