How much do you spend on your kid's Christmas presents?

I live in northern NJ and toys are expensive. My son's toys that he asked for costs an average of $40-$50 and I woud like to get at least 5 toys. Then I still have my daughter and have to get them an even amount of gifts. So Im wondering how much is too much?

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 10:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Holidays

• I would get them both two expensive gifts and three cheaper gifts. It all depends on what you can afford. Do put yourself in debt.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Expensive is different to every family.

My son is only 15 months, but because we can afford it this year, we're buying him a $1500 swing set and a $400 Power Wheels. However, these items he will be able to use for years, so it is definitely worth it! If it wasn't for those two items, we only spent about $250 on the rest of his toys.

If it had been a few years ago, we wouldn't have been able to afford $100 probably. Just make sure you're paying everything in cash, or you are able to pay the credit card at the end of the month. There's no sense in going into debt when Christmas is really about being with our loved ones and that's all that really matters!
    Anonymous

• I agree with "DON'T put yourself in debt!"
    Somehow--and I don't know why this is, but even when I don't have a lot of money, I get KILLER deals at Christmas time. We have lived in the country for years, so my kids were the ones who actually GOT the pony for Christmas. Not once, but TWICE. They didn't get any plastic toys under the tree those years, but saddle blankets, bridles, boots and hats. Then, as they got older we bought them guitars, keyboards, etc. because we are all musicians. I guess it depends on what your kids are into , how old they are and MOST important, how much money you have that you can actually afford to spend. There's nothing like the joy on a child's face Christmas Morning when they open gifts that are EXACTLY what they wanted!! However I will only spend as much as I can reasonably afford.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 10:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• It depends on the child. My older children get more expensive presents than my younger two. The things the younger two want are usually cheaper.
    Anonymous

• I can afford to get most of what they want without going into debt, but when my family and some friends hear/see how much I get, I wonder if I'm buying too much. I can easily spend $700 on the two of them. THey are 7 and want some pretty $$ things like an air hockey table, Wii games, a robot, a karaoke machine. I will most likely get what they ask for LOL Just wondering if I'm over the top.
    I really don't buy them anything throughout the year so this has to take them to next year for their bday so that is my reasoning.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I'm not sure how much it will cost this year since my twin girls are into Dora the Explorer. What do you get a 6 m/o boy who has more than enough toys and even more clothes? He'd probably have more fun with the wrapping paper.
    Miss_Behavin

Answer by Miss_Behavin at 11:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• We spend $1000 on all Christmas gifts. That includes kids, us, parents, siblings, teachers, etc. We have 1 credit card with a $1000 limit and that is the only thing we use. After Christmas, we make minimum payments until income tax time and then we pay it off. Then we don't touch it until next year. It's been working great for us.

But for the kids (I have 2) I would say we spent about $350 each. Give or take.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• 400.00 each
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 12:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It varies year to year and kid to kid. My youngest is 5 and her things are much less expensive than my boys presents. I probably spent $150 on her between me and my mom. The boys are closer to $250-$300 each this year between me and my mom. They are getting approximately 5 presents each, and that included stocking stuffers.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• This year I am spending $300 on each kid in gifts and another $100 on stocking stuffers...I have a 19 year old & an 18 month old.
    When it was just my oldest....it varied. Last year we spent about $700 on just her. But there were many early years that I was lucky to have the money to spend $100.... It usually depends on what they want/need..... But I agree with everyone who said DO NOT GO INTO DEBT OVER CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!!!! I always buy for the less fortunate too....I spend around $500/year on presents for strangers kids.... (Salvation Army, Refugee Families, SafeNest, or sometimes people I know)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2009