Would you contact the Salavation Army?

To give background information my hubby lost his job early October and has been searching for other employment (Quality control is hard to come by in this area). Anyway we have had to downsize from a house to a apartment, use medicaid and food stamps, and get unemployment benefits...which still is not enough. We have three daughters 4 yr old, 20 month old and a 3 month old. WE presently got one gift for each but I do not think we can do any more then that without sacrificing some more important bills. My mom said we should apply for toys for tots and some other programs but I feel like we are already getting so much...would you get additional gifts for your little ones? I feel there are children who are much more less fortunate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Holidays

• The way I look at it is this... If you bought them each a gift AND you have family who will also be buying for them, then NO you do not need to call for FREE toys. I think it's more for a single mom who has no help... and so that is my personal opinion.
    Anonymous

• I think you just answered your own question. I would give them the gifts you already have and focus the rest of the holiday on family and just being together and being grateful for what you do have.
    Anonymous

• Listen you have to qualify for those programs. If you qualify I don't see why you shouldn't get toys. Everybody needs help sometimes.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 10:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I see nothing wrong in calling them, if you qualify they will help you. We will do anything for our children and it is hard to know as a mother that you can not do more for them. This is a tough time for many famlies and I say to you call them, you don't know if they can help you if you dont. Good luck.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• dollar store is a great place -maybe you could get the 2 older ones one or two more items there or make something for them?...the baby won't care ;)
    hope you have a nice holiday, we aren't getting our kids much either
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• OP Here.
    To answer one of the above replies my parents live three hours away and their work hours were cut...so they cannot buy anything for the grandchildren. Now my husbands parents may do something but since they like to rub our poorness in our face and tell the girls that they are getting presents because of them...I do not really deal with them at christmas time.
    Anonymous

• You have had a rough year. Call. It's not all about the gifts of course, but if you qualify and need the help this year please take it. It's NOT just for single moms or any of that nonsense. When your husband finds a job you can give back to Toys for Tots and help out families like yours that needed the help.

I nope next year is better for your family.
    Anonymous

• With the young ages of your children $1 store gifts are just fine. You could buy 5 for eacjh and still only spend $5. And honestly, the babies won't even know. I know this because 20 years ago my soldier husband was medically discharged from the military. We had 2 weeks to vacate base housing, we were homeless with 3 small children (4, 2 and 4 mos.) and TG my dad let us move in with him for 6 weeks (long enough for hubby to get a job and for us to find an apartment). This happened in December....hubby was released from the military on 12/12/90. We had no money saved so we had to cancel our layaway for Christmas just to have money to move from MC to OH. It sucked. My older 2 sons got toys three $1 toys from the $1 store and they loved them. They didn't know they were $1 toys. My infant got 3 little rattles. We survived without Toys For Tots. That's for older kids who understand a little more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Yes go apply for Toys for Tots!! There is NO SHAME IN ASKING FOR HELP!! And it doesnt matter how old your kids are, people buy for those programs for all ages, It may not be alot of toys, and it may be a ton, but either way, it's Christmas and I say go for it..

Don't let these other people who are scroogy make you feel like not doing it. But you should do it soon, so you don't miss the deadline.. and FYI, my friend who is raising her six grandkids did it one year when the smallest one was a tiny baby adn she had a very nice Christmas!!
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 12:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The salvation army has deadlines. If you want those programs too you need to sign up before thanksgiving.
    They are already collecting for the people that have met the deadline. You have to remember that all these things that give help for the holidays have to know who they are helping and how many that is why most have dead lines long before DEC.
    As for the unemployment if you look up catholic charities they will and can help you find a job.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2009