how would you respond

just wondering what your thoughts on if you asked someone--RU a "christian"? and there response was NO I AM A BELIEVER?

jdmyangel

Asked by jdmyangel at 10:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ask the JW that knocked last week, and my son politely told that we do not believe in god, and then asked them if they wanted coffee...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• if they responded that way, I would think they believe in God, but perhaps not the christian version of god, or they believe in something, but not necessarily "god"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• huh...that's an interesting response. I kinda like it since so many folks have instant negative reactions to the word "Christian". What was the context of the convo, jdmyangel?
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Christianity is a religion, I think they are telling you they are not religious (not following a organized religion) but they are spiritual and believe in a Divine being. Just how I read it.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 10:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• kenzie---i understand what you are saying--and that actually is the way the person meant it--i, myself think it is a neat way to look at it. I read a blog on the topic and just thought it was interesting---and in all honesty i think it helps take away the labeling because everyone can read it differently--takes away the "judging" if you know what i mean
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 11:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I understand it because we (Christians) are instantly sized up by that title. Its like being sized up because you are black, or white..or whatever your characteristic is. I still say I'm a Christian because our Bible doesnt' say we'll be loved and liked by the world...so um why should I change my title because of the way people will view me?
    But I get why they said it. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• "kenzie---i understand what you are saying--and that actually is the way the person meant it--i, myself think it is a neat way to look at it. I read a blog on the topic and just thought it was interesting---and in all honesty i think it helps take away the labeling because everyone can read it differently--takes away the "judging" if you know what i mean"

I agree completely. I like it. Seems like everything is so 'catagorized' all of the time. And with that, comes a giant set of rules and judgements or insinuations.  Thanks for the perspective!  ;-)

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• does the bible call the people chrisitians? or believers?
    Anonymous

• (( does the bible call the people chrisitians? or believers? ))

Believers...but when you say believers in our world today of course you can believe in anything. A muslim is a believer. A wiccan is a believer. I like to specify exactly who I believe in...but thats just me. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My response would be "cool, what do you believe in?" since finding that out was the intent of my question.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2009