What in the world is a 'christmas tree'?

I don't get it. What is a christmas tree anyway? For my family it's a yule tree or sometimes just a holiday tree. How on earth does christmas factor into all this anyway? I thought christmas was about the birth of Christ? Now it's about trees too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your website is a joke. "Christmas" trees are Germanic specifically. They were part of the real Yule festival, not the one Wiccans have invented as they go along. The only wood involved is fir. It is symbolic of Yggdrasil, the World Tree. The tree is decorated with offerings for the wights, the spirits that live in all things. There is no single goddess involved, but offerings are made during wassailing to all of the Norse gods and goddesses.

Have to laugh at all the little neo-Pagans and seen every episode of Charmed wanna be witches who run around whining about how the Christians stole Yule, when they've done the same damn thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• isn't it the trees you put up in your home and add lights and decorations to? or has someone been lying to me all my life??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Oh, come on ppl! Enjoy your holiday whatever that is and let other people enjoy theirs. Why did you have to ask this question anyway!!??
    Anonymous

• What in the world is a yule tree?? I thought those were only logs....
    Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!! (even you drama queens out there vying for a position on Santa's naughty list).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I really have no clue. i don't trecall the story about an evergreen tree given to the baby Jesus by the 3 Wisemen or being in the manager when he was born. i don't understand why Christians feel a need to decorate a tree and surround an entire holiday around it. It's JUST A TREE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• its not even about the birth of Christ. The tree is a pagan symbol. Christianity, i think it may have been the Catholics, i could be wrong about the denomination but they used the pagan symbol to try and lure pagans into Christianity, by incorporating their pagan symbols.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Op here; I do know what a Christmas tree is, I have to admit. I just asked because someone asked earlier, "what on earth is a 'holiday tree'". So I figured this was a valid question as well. IMO, it should have always been called a holiday tree, not a christmas tree.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• a whole lot of people wanted to call it a Christmas tree when THAT question got asked...but where are they now?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Anon :13....you are correct.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Most religions are derived from another form of a similar religion at some point throughout history. Yule, before Christmas gained momentum, used trees to symbolize life in the dead of winter. Green is a symbol of prosperity and life. Christianity, as we all know, is to celebrate new life. Now, the stories have all been warped so much that to actually give you a reliable answer I'd have to waste energy that I should be conserving to drink my rum and do the dishes. However, as the tree represents life, it only is suitable for this faith as well. In addition, old habits die hard. Many things that we do in our everyday routines are religious symbols from ancient, or more recent, times.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 5, 2009