Should I accept an offer from my previous job?

I was under the impression that my previous employer asked the temp agency to let me go, but it turns out that the agent lied to me and to my employer and fired me himself. He has since been fired. I found this out today when my previous employer offered me my job back. I loved the job, but it pays little, I'm away 11 hours but only being paid for 8 (the rest is commute, plus an hour lunch break) and the main con is that my son was so sick in daycare that I wound up missing 9 days in 2 months. I will need time off to take him to appointments and whatnot, plus I am going to be taking on new board positions with Habitat for Humanity. I'm currently collecting umemployment, but I'm not sure for how much longer.
Would you accept the job or not? How would you approach the idea of getting more per hour, or the idea of having time off for baby appointments?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• The only way to find out is to ask?? If they are willing to give you off the time you need and more money. Would you take the job back?? Just ask if they don't want to. Maybe you shoud look for a new job.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Can you telecommute part-time? Take a shorter lunch?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I'm not sure but just a heads up, don't tell unemployment you got offered a job because your not supposed to turn down anything. If the job does not pay more than the unemoyment I would not take the personaly.
    melibear5715

Answer by melibear5715 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Well you should see a little extra in the pay check, since the middle man, the temp agency, is no longer taking their cut of the pay. I would take the job.

I know it stinks that our kids get sick in daycare, but the same thing happens when it's pre-k or kindergarten, so that really can't be avoided. Obviously the employer valued you dispite those absenses from your son being sick, otherwise they wouldn't have offered you the job.

And I wouldn't lie to the unemployment office...but you are required to report the job offer, your unemplyment is at risk if you turn the job down, and if you simply "forget" to tell the unemployment office of te job offer and they find out about it, not only will you lose your unemployment AND be responcible for paying back what you collected since the job offer was given!!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I would take the job personally. You are already familiar with the job requirements and the company. You can talk salary and such when you discuss the situation in person. I agree with what was said previously, you should see an increase in your check as the middle man has been cut out. Regarding the baby appointments and such, perhaps you can use a few hours of PTO here and there rather than taking an extended vacation, just really depends on the employer. As an employer myself, I want my employees (all women currently) to feel good about the health of their children. That added piece of mind really does translate to a better product in the workplace.
    Anonymous