Why do mothers feel the need to be insulting?

Here's the thing. I look at a lot of questions and journal posts and whatnot on here. When a mother asks "Should I switch to soy formula because my 3 mo old doesn't seem to be tolerating the regular" someone has got to post anonymously slamming her for not breastfeeding. I asked a simple question once about how many times people brushed their kids' teeth, and someone posted scolding me for not brushing my son's teeth. There's co-sleeping, organic feeding, formula feeding, antibiotic toting, non-scolding parents...a good mix, right? Why the heck are we forcing other mothers to join our personal crusades? Don't mothers in general have enough on their plates?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You need to read this Journal... it says it all..

How to Piss Everyone Off at Once

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I agree.that is the reason I left another moms forum,because they were so mean and catty. I mean I don't agree with attatchment style parenting and cosleeping but that doesn't mean I have a right to insult anyone that does, I may post a comment about the "facts" behind something if someone asks an opinon on the things I don't agree with,but I wouldn't but anyone down for their choices when it comes to parenting unless they are putting their children in danger.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• HAHAHAHA.... OMG I had forgotten that journal. Thanks for reposting, Anon. I almost peed myself laughing!

OP- Who freakin' knows. I think a lot of people come on this website for the sole purpose of either promoting their agenda (whatever it may be), or just so they can insult people to feel better about themselves. I have made some wonderful friends on here, but I have also encountered some of the most ignorant, horrific b*tches I have ever seen in my life. I would think that, as mothers, most would try to look at the goodness in others, but... :(
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It's because many of the moms here are insecure and doubtful about their own parenting skills, so they feel the need to bring others down with them.

Pay them no mind, just do what's best for you and your family. At the end of the day, your kids' opinion of you and how you chose to raise them is the only one that matters.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Insecurity, in part. Some women feel the need to validate their parenting choices by saying how wrong everyone else is - in the same manner that many homophobes are actually gay; they are just covering up for what they see as their own mistakes.

Others truly do believe that the choices they've made are what's best for every child, and are simply concerned that not every child gets the upbringing they think all children deserve.

But I think it's mostly because - despite the fact that everyone strives to be "unique" - most people hate any sort of difference and see people who are different as "the enemy".
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 1:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• What's wrong with co-sleeping?
    MsRich0225

Answer by MsRich0225 at 2:40 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I never cease to be amazed at how worked up someone gets over the opinions of someone they don't know...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I remember that one post , How to piss everyone one off at once!

Great post.
    Anonymous