So they will have to take the public option, thoughts?

Democrats signed on to an amendment that would make lawmakers join the public option.

On Thursday Sens. David Vitter (R-La.) and Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) introduced the health-care amendment.

"The idea, broad-brush, is that whatever government option is in the bill, every senator and every representative should be enrolled in it," Vitter told The Hill. "No other possibilities, no other choices."

"It's called leadership," Coburn said. "If it's good enough for everybody else, we ought to be leading by example."

When Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) tried to become a co-sponsor of the amendment, he got the cold shoulder.

"They've not said yes to allow me to be a co-sponsor," Brown told The Hill on Thursday. "I've called their office four times. I'm proud of the public option, I think it would be great and we ought to join it and show the country how good it is.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think my interest may be more genuine than theirs, but I'd like to work with them if they'll let me. If they just want to score partisan points, I still want to work with them."
    So Brown, joined by Sens. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Barbara A. Mikulski (D-Md.), and Al Franken (D-Minn.), forced his way onto the amendment with a unanimous consent vote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_lsFywRfgA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlEAuS-VfsQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/04/vitter-coburn-public-opti_n_380933.html
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I think they should have to be on the public option. What makes them so special that they need the rolls royce policy they have now...and have for free?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:42 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I agree with ysk on this one.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Good, bout time someone made it very clear that it is unbelievably shallow of them to expect us to take what they refuse for themselves. Now I am sure it wont pass the senate though.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Flag this message
    Reply from Senator Sherrod Brown
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:29 PM
    From:
    "Sherrod Brown" <do_not_reply@brown.senate.gov>
    Add sender to Contacts
    To:
    xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

Dear Mrs. Xxxxxxxxx:

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding health care.

Since first coming to Congress in 1993, I have refused to enroll in the coverage offered to members of Congress until every American has access to high-quality, affordable health insurance. Should a health care reform bill pass that offers a public insurance option, I would be pleased to enroll.

This is what he sent me a while back. I have a hard time believing that he has gone what, 16 yrs? without insurance? Just because not every American has access to the high quality health care that Congress has? Yeah, right.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Sen. Sherrod Brown joins Republicans in demanding that Congress go on 'public option,' too

Coming from Ohio, I don't agree with S.B. very often, but I do agree with this.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• This is all smoke and mirrors. There will be something that gives and exemption. They tried this before and every dem refused to even allow it to be discussed in committee. I don't trust any move that has such political implications. Why now do the dems care what the republicans have to say or think? They have excluded our voice in this entire process. They even refused to allow the republican version of a UHC to be even looked at in the House or the Senate. I know. They have looked at the polls after the votes and realized they killed their reelection prospects yet the repubs are holding strong. Only now do they want to align themselves with the conservatives. It is political and nothing else.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I agree with this above. They will make exemptions for themselves and find loopholes. It cracks me up that politicians complain about "the rich vs the poor" when THEY are the biggest hippocrites on the earth! How about all politicians - senators, congress, representatives, all their staff - how about they all take a paycut and lose some of their perks? That'll never happen...

shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 10:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Sweets, it is just a PROPOSED AMENDMENT...it is not a "done deal." So, they don't HAVE to do anything!!! And like the others have said, they'll always manage to find a loophole to wiggle through.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I'd like to see it. It makes sense that all government employees use the public option.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2009