Does it matter if the doc tells you that your placenta is in the front? will it move?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No - once the placenta is attached, its attached. It may shift as your uterus grows, but it is more or less stable. I don't know for sure if there is any danger associated w/ it being in the front - I think it is usually near the top at the back wall. The only dangerous positions I'm aware of are at the very top (it heightens the risk of a very, very sickening complication that, without going into much detail, threatens the uterus at the time of birth), and at the bottom, covering the cervix. But like I said, those are the only ones I'm aware of - there may be more.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 2:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• There is no danger. At least there wasnt in my case. My placenta was located in the front. The only time your placenta should pose a threat is if it detatches or is covering the cervix opening, and i believe the location located at top. If there were any concerns your doctor or midwife would or should of spoken to you. Good luck sweetie.
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 2:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• no but i heard if it is in front of your baby you wont feel allot of kicks due to it but you should be fine i was told my placenta was off to the side! so it ok as long as it is not covering your cervixs or detaching from the baby or the uterine lining!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 8:10 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Mine was in front at 20 weeks or so but then it moved down to cover the cervix sometime before 25 weeks when i found out i had placenta previa...it's so unpredictable...don't get worried unless the doc tells you too!
    TBSNBubblegum

Answer by TBSNBubblegum at 6:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Nope. Anterior placentas are only concerning if you've had a prior cesarean, since that could show attachment to the uterine scar. However, it's pretty easy to rule that out by u/s. Nothing to worry about, honestly. Just where the placenta is.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2009