Questions for Christians who agree with the phrase "Jesus is the reason for the season"

and think it's applicable to all situations. (There's a lot of them, so be prepared! lol)
Why can't everyone realize that numerous religions celebrate different holidays during this time of year? There are so many amazing reasons for this season! There's Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Santa Lucia Day, Yule, and so many more! Why can't people say whatever they like in holiday greetings to one another? Why must it be Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas? Why is it that someone wishing you a positive holiday season must be berated for doing so in a manner you don't like? (That one is applicable to anyone who gets offended by a holiday greeting!) Why is it that you think Jesus has the right to this season when other religious holidays have been around longer than Christmas but celebrated during the same season? Why can't you share the reason for the season with other religions, why must it be exclusive to Christianity?

mommy_lisa25

Asked by mommy_lisa25 at 2:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the phrase Jesus is the Reason of the Season is really directed at other Christians.

Many people, myself included, feel that saying Merry Christmas is considered wrong many times, but I like hearing Merry Christmas and want to be able to say it to other people. I would also love it if someone told me to have a wonderful Hanukkah, Ramadan, or what ever I would take the greeting with the good intentions it was meant in.

I don't want to take away anyone elses holiday I just want to celebrate mine without feeling like I'm taking away from someone else. We live in a country where Christianity is the majority so it can be difficult for other religions and often people feel their beliefs are side lined, but I don't want to take anyones holiday  from them I just want to celebrate Christmas.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• would you be happier if an xtian said, ''jesus is my reason for the season''...because that's really what it means. a person's relationship with God/JC is personal. please forgive whoever coined the original phrase in the first place!! geez..in light of your post/question, why can't everyone just let it go and celebrate however/whoever they want? why must one group tone down/generalize their celebration to fit others? what about people who celebrate nothing at all-should be just stop celebrating anything, ever, so they won't feel left out??
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• First of all "Jesus is the reason for the season" is a stupid thing to say, the moving of the Earth is the reason for the season. Secondly it is designed to deny that other things (most often cited would be presents & Santa Clause but other religions are included) that are associated with the season so it is rude to display for the general public. A sign at a church stating "Jesus is the reason we celebrate" or "Jesus is our reason for being happy this season" would be appropriate. I try to take all greetings in the spirit in which they are stated. "Merry Christmas" has gotten on my nerves before just because it irritates me a little that people assume that is the holiday anyone they come across will be celebrating, but I remind myself that they are probably just trying to share the joy that Christmas brings them (unless their tone suggests otherwise). cont....

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I do believe that anyone who gives a holiday specific greeting should graciously accept whatever greeting they get in return. Whether it is Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Yule, or Pleasant day of receiving gifts. In all though, I think that we should all try to keep the joy of all the holidays, religious or secular, in mind & attempt to be kind to anyone who wishes them well, even if it isn't in the form they would prefer.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• i think it's more to say to people who call themselves christians, but celebrate in a non-religious way. like people who think that christmas is santa's birthday, but claim to be christians. as christians we also celebrate hannukah, and i suppose i could celebrate kwanzaa if i didn't think it was bogus lol

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I am going to agree with hairnazi. Jesus is the reason for the season I celebrate.

I don't celebrate the moving of the earth. That just sounds stupid. It is equally stupid for certain people to demand tolerance but can't seem to give themselves. Look around, it is n ot just Christians that can't respect others beliefs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• nysa00
    First of all "Jesus is the reason for the season" is a stupid thing to say, the moving of the Earth is the reason for the season. Secondly it is designed to deny that other things

judgmental much
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Yes I judge when statements are nonsensical. Just like you would judge a statement to be silly if you heard it said that elephants are always less than 2 ft. tall & never weigh more than 10 lbs. We all judge statements for their intent & their accuracy. Otherwise language would be useless. I could say "google snark fish" & wonder why you didn't respond appropriately. My judgement of the statement "Jesus is the reason for the season" is that it is inaccurate & exclusive, in my opinion that makes it a stupid thing to say.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• celebrating the "movement of the earth" is stupid, but celebrating a "virgin" birth is not?

can't we all just get along?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

Exactly. In all the activity it is very easy to get distracted from the point of what we are doing. As Christians that is celebrating Jesus birth.

Why does it bother people so much? It is a harmless little saying. Like anon 8:08 said can't we just get along?! Is my saying that going to stop you from keeping whatever holiday you keep in whatever manor you choose? No. Then leave Christians alone to keep Christmas as we choose.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2009