I was told not to use diaper rash creams cause they keep the rash from drying up and going away. Is this true?

I was also told to use pure cornstarch cause it dries everything up and soothes it... :/ if the cream makes it worse why do they make it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is very true. My son has had so many rashes some that have caused staph. His dr told me not to use and rash cremes bc they are only to put a wet barrier to keep moisture out. My dr has prescribed my son and antibiotic cream bc he has extremely sensitive skin and the smallest things irritate his skin. I would talk with dr to maybe give him something to help take care of it. Best of luck with it. :)
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My son has never had a diaper rash. Hes four months now. I use desitin at night and thats it. I use the cream more as a preventative.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• my first had i think 2 or 3 rashes EVER and hes going to be four. my youngest just turned three months and he just got over a bad rash. i used johnson and johnsons triple something cream lol... it comes in a blue tube.... along with baby powder. it worked great! it was gone in two days, and before i started using it, his little bum was bleeding! so it took care of it really quick, and as soon as i put the cream on, he stopped crying immediately. i loved it. ive always used cream for the rashes on the butts. ive never not used it... so i guess im not really a help huh? lol sorry
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 2:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• No, not true. Also, I know cornstarch is the old school remedy and many moms swear buy it, but my pediatrician says NEVER use it and don't even keep it in the house. He says that yeast feed off of the cornstarch and it leads to thrush infections.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The diaper rash cream is not a cure/or medicine for the actual the actual rash. Like pp said, it only acts as a barrier to keep the urine and poo from further infecting/irritating the rash. Unless you consider the zinc ox....(????) a treatment, but I think its more of a drying agent. I could not have lived with out Desitin regular for my babies tiny hiney's!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Its also going to depend on your babies skin type. But I dont think it makes it worse because its keeping the poop out of the rash which is very helpful. Also keeping the pee and poop out of your babies rash will make it less painful for your child. If you dont want to use the cream, you can give your baby a cool shallow bath to wash their bottom and let them air dry for about 5 minutes. Sorry for the long response!!!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:02 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It general no it does not make it worse and yes the zinc oxide does help dry it and it protects it a bit. That said: THERE ARE DIFFERENT types of rashes and SKINS.... so you need to find what is best for your child.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Can I tell you I LOVE desitin or any other cream? I use it on my son's face if he's breaking out. i use it on my own face! if he has a heat rash I slather him up. We love it. I use the sensitive skin cream kind.

If your doctor tells you not to use it, then don't. sometimes you shouldn't use a cream on a rash. Or things like burns.

I also agree that a nice cooling bath would help. pat dry. don't rub!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2009