Is it normal to be depressed during pregnancy??

Im about 20 weeks along.. At first I was angry all the time and now since Thanksgiving its changed Im sad and lonley all the time.. Everything makes me cry even talking about me being sad makes me cry.. Is this normal or should I bring it up with my doctor?? I dont have an appoitment till the 21st..

MiSs.SmOkEy

Asked by MiSs.SmOkEy at 2:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its completely normal. I was either crying or laughing until I cried..It will go away eventually..Just find things that make you cheerful or make you laugh. You will get thru it, it just takes time.
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 2:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• :( i'm sad and lonley all the tiem too. To bad you don't live by me we could be sad and lonley together. I'm sure it's just the hormones for both of us. I hope for my moods to change as soon as i lay my eyes on my little man :)
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 8:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I was that way my entire pregnancy & threw up the whole time too!!!! Hang in there momma, when you see your little one its all worth it. For now let yourself cry, letting it out made me feel better.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Thanks ladies.. I just wasn't sure cause I was never this sad with my son... I first I thought it was because it was a girl and maybe it was just different hormones.. Im glad Im 20 weeks and have not thrown up once!! YAY
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 3:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Common, yes, normal, no. If you are feeling depressed, you should try talking to a professional. We hear all the time about post partum depression, but we never hear about it during pregnancy, however, it happens A LOT. Yes, some of it is hormones, but it's a HUGE life change, and also means you are WAY more likely to experience post partum depression. I would seriously recommend talking to a professional that can help you work through it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I agree with musicpisces completly! I just talked to my doctor about the same thing, because my sadness & lonliness seemed a little extreme, knowing that women are usually very emotional during pregnancy. Im now taking a low dose of medication and going to counseling. I recommend it, I feel so much better.
    MamaJones13

Answer by MamaJones13 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2009