Would you take it? Did you even know about it?

High-Risk Women May Often Avoid Using Tamoxifen
Worries about side effects
are a major reason why only 6 percent of American women at high risk for breast cancer are willing to take the drug tamoxifen
to prevent the disease, a new study finds.

The drug's side effects, which can include hot flashes, sexual problems and, in rare cases, blood clots, cataracts or endometrial cancer.

http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/healthday/2009/12/04/high-risk-women-may-often-avoid-using-tamoxifen.html

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 2:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the side effects of many of these preventative medications are misleading in the sense that not enough independent research has been done therefore compounding many of the initial problems they were originally intended for. Pharmaceutical companies have no reason to contraindicate their own laboratory studies because it would a detriment to their company's monetary gain. I.e Yaz is a perfect example of a hormone supplement with adverse side effects that are now coming to light after these side effects have been reported to be worse than originally thought yet they continue to make millions despite several class action lawsuits against the makers. I believe this to be the reasoning why people are turning to holistic remedies more so now than ever before.
    magoogie

Answer by magoogie at 1:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Crissy, Sorry that no one was interested in responding to your question, so I will! :o)

Personally, I wouldn't take any "preventive" medications until it was determined that I needed it/them and that the benefits outweighed the risks/side-effects. I believe in regular health screenings, discussing any concerns or irregularities with my physicians (obtaining 2nd and 3rd opinions at times), and taking as many preventative health measures as possible (while still enjoying life!). Beyond that, if it's my time, it's my time, and I would make the best of it! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• No way. I'm young, no family history, never used hormonal therapies, and I nurse full term. I have no reason to take a dangerous drug that MIGHT help lower my chances of getting something I'm very unlikely to get.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• breastfeeding :) the answer to womens cancers.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 2:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• LOL Lori no worries! I know this isn't as intriguing as Tiger Woods sex scandal! lol Thanks for answering ladies!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2009