do I invest my lil family's love, hard work, and money in a cracker jack box?

my hubby lost his job, we cant afford to stay in our apartment and was planning on moving in with my mother and sister but hubby's parents offered us their parent's house which has been vaccant for sometime now. its small cracker jack box sized, huge backyard, NO rent or any payments wil need to be made but it needs A LOT OF TLC....my family isnt supporting the idea just because it isnt the greatest neighborhood....do I invest my lil family's time, love, hard work and money into this house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I believe that you are blessed to have the opportunity to live in a home rent free. There is nothing wrong with adding some of your money to the home because it is your Hubby's parents home. I am not tsaying to take out a loan but if you can help with minor repairs or maybe a new paint job, it would be grateful.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 3:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• OP here. His parents would be pretty much giving it to us as a starter while we finish school, hubby finds a job, I get my business going great, and while the kids get in their tots. I have a toddler 22 months and am 26 weeks prego. We would be putting lots of love into this home to make it beautiful.....its so small it wouldnt cost very much to fix it up. his parents said we could then buy it once it's fixed up and turn around and sale. I'm just emotional and dont know if what I am feeling is doubt or that because my mother didnt support the idea that I'm just upset about that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Take advantage of the fact the kids are little and could care less about having their own room, when they are older you will have the money. His folks are offering this home to you at a time when you need a stable place to live, especially since the cost is low and you have a little one coming before you know it. Winter is sneaking up. grrr For safety get a baseball bat and some mace. For show if anything.
    It will take time for all the pieces to fall into place with your hubby finding work and getting enough money to move up and out. Surely your mother is just jealous since you are relishing the idea of taking help from HIS parents. If they offered a mansion she would probably feel the same.
    In time you will own the house and can sell it to help you all move up. When you are old and grey this will make a lovely story of your family when it was young. I can only imagine the stories that house would tell the kids.
    Gone_Crazy2

Answer by Gone_Crazy2 at 6:02 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• op here. thank you, nicely put and makes me feel confident with our choice to move there....now i can be excited without wondering if i shouldn't be feeling excited. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I would really take advantage of it. You are very lucky to get this chance. I am sorry that things are rough for you now.
    For the job you can try to contact catholic charities they can help find a job :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:37 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• go 4 it ur own home there is nothing like it good luck
    aaronsmom799

Answer by aaronsmom799 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Wow, sounds like a blessing to me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I would go for it! i've lived with parents.... DO NOT DO IT! It totally sucks. Continue being on your own. :) Have fun with the place! :) Even if it is TINY, it's still only YOUR family. I hated living with parents because they expected you to be in at a certain time, wanted to know where you are going, we had to eat with them or not eat at all, and so on. It sucked and I will NEVER EVER go back to it
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I say take the house. As long as the house is structeraly sound and safe, then you can take as much time as you need/want on the small things. When my family moved from MO to MN, we lived with MIL and I will never do that again. It put so much stress on us, I almost left my husband. and I actually like my MIL.
    ShannieP

Answer by ShannieP at 9:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Well, HELL YEAH! It's FREE BABY. What else do you need? Fix it up a little at a time, as long as you have heat, electric and running water, I'd say you can't complain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2009