red patches on my son's cheeks and chin?

my son is 22 months and just tonight has developed a red rash on his cheeks and chin. It's not bumpy, doesnt seem to bother him any and isnt itchy, no fever, eating fine.....what could this be? It's pretty apparent and he's never gotten it before.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids went through that. the doctor told me that it was caused by dry skin and prompted me to apply baby lotion. The redness diminished. Try it and if it becomes bumpy, maybe you should take him to see the doctor.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• If it feels rough or scratchy at all (a bit like sand paper) then it's eczema. My toddler son has had it since birth. I developed eczema as an adult. If you suspect eczema, contact your pediatrician and see what he recommends since this is on his face.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It's usually just chapped skin. Apply some lotion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• If its chapped, lotion might burn. Vasoline will not burn.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My son gets bright red, dry cheeks and chin everytime he gets another tooth and now it also seems every fall/winter... the thing we found that works the BEST is nipple cream! It isn't as greasy as vaseline but stays on better than lotions... and it's safe for babies because it's made to be safe for newborns
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My daughter had those symptons and the it seemed to get redder while in a warm bath. The dr told us to use baby aquahphor lotion on her skin. I think its made my eucerin.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2009