How do I fix this behavior?

My 5 month old has been teething for a few months but hasnt cut a tooth, yet, however im afraid when she does she's going to rip her bottle nipples open. she keeps "biting down" and tugging on them as if she had teeth. it makes a mess, but I dont want her doing this when she actually has teeth. is there anything I can do?

Squeakette

Asked by Squeakette at 9:47 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I suppose the breastfeeding mothers will all say that you could have prevented this by breastfeeding. You know, let her tug on your own nipples for a while. But, I will have to say that it's just a stage and will pass. She could possibly not even cut teeth until she off the bottle Hon. Sometimes they start way early and then stop. My kids didn't have any teeth until about 12 mos. By then they were onto a cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I don't think it should be a problem after she cuts teeth. my kiddos did the same thing, but never bit through nipples. I would supposed though...if when she has teeth just take the bottle out of her mouth and say no biting or something like that?...each time she does it. maybe replace it with a teething ring? she won't like it... I would imagine it'll soon tranlate to her, she shouldn't chew on the bottles.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I dont care what the breast feeding mothers say, because i didn't chose to formula feed her. my doctor did. so if you're going to bitch, go read my journal on it. because i don't need to justify why i had to do what really was best for my daughter. Or if you don';t believe me I;m sure i can find my pediatricians number for you, and YOU can talk to him yourself.

And by the way, my daughter is ALSO lactose intolerant. even if i COULD have breastfed, which I couldnt, she couldnt digest it. so get off your high horse. no one was asking for you to tell me to do something I physically couldn't do.

Now if anyone has some helpful suggestions like the poster above me, that'd be appreciated.
    Squeakette

Answer by Squeakette at 10:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My daughter has 4 teeth (one is a an eye tooth on top) and she does the same thing and has yet to rip the nipple off. She is 9 months old. I think they are just playing when they do that. I really do not think that she will rip a chunk out of the nipple. It makes a cool snap sound and feeling so maybe that is why she does it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• What kind of nipples are you using? If you use the brown ones (I think they're latex, but I'm not sure) they tend to rip easier even from just washing them. I recommend using the clear ones (not sure what they're made of, but they're thicker) My six month old does the same thing, they just like to chew on anything that gets in their little mouths lol. I don't really know if there is any way to stop her from doing that, but the pp's idea of the teething ring may work. When she does cut teeth, just keep a close eye on the condition of the nipple before you feed her, just to be extra safe. Best of luck to you!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:28 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• they're the clear ones, she uses the evenflo purely comfi bottles since they allow her to sit up while she eats. she likes to hold it herself.

Yeah, i could try switching ehr to teethers when she does it. she hates her teethers. maybe she'll get the idea. Thanks. =)
    Squeakette

Answer by Squeakette at 10:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I fail to see why breastfeeding wa sbrought in to this. Breastfed babies do it too.
    It is just a phase, My son did it to all his pacifiers. I had to be on top of him when it came to that.
    He stopped doing it after the first couple teeth.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I don't know. By the time my daughter had teeth, she was using a sippy cup. She was using a sippy cup from the time she was 5months old..>Started at 4months. Didn't like bottles.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Try introducing a sippy cup to her. With my son, I plan on bf for 6 months and then try giving my son a sippy cup, skipping a bottle all together. I hope everything goes well for you.

Don't listen when people try to bash you for bottle feeding. I bf both my kids, but I know a lot of mothers who didn't for various reasons. Their kids are fine. (Plus, there are a lot of times when I just wanna throw in the towel and give my son a bottle. He likes to eat a lot and it seems like he is always on my boobies. Just like his father. lol!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Squeakette, I'd like to point out that not one person said anything about breastfeeding except ugly comments about what a breastfeeder would "supposedly" say. Which is stupid, because all breastfeeding moms deal with nibbling babies at some point. It's a baby thing.

Breastfeeding AND bottle feeding babies bite the nipple that feeds them. Treat it the same. Unlatch her from the bottle (or breast) every time she does it, and she'll realize she doesn't get fed when she's biting. She'll stop biting.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2009