Jesus' Birthday in a public school???

I just answered another question from a woman who's son's public school teacher put Jesus' Birthday on the calendar under Christmas Day... Most of the moms said things like "good for her" or "It is Jesus' BDay."

Do people really believe that Christmas was the actual birthday or Jesus?? I mean, I understand that many Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus that day, but I though it was common knowledge that it wasn't actually that day.

Second of all, I would be very upset to see my child's public school teacher posting this or teaching this. However, if you read through the answers on that post I think I am one of like 5 that it bothered.

So, how about you? Would this upset you? Why or why not? And if you are Christian do you actually teach your kids that Christmas is Jesus' Birthday??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't teach my child it is Jesus' Birth, but rather, we just celebrate it that day.
    Other's chose to not celebrate Jesus' Birth, and that's again thier choice...
    But that's what the holiday is...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• from personal experience, my parents taught that this was the actual day that the christ child was born. they still believe that, but they also practice a lot of other religious quirks that are non related to christianity- they're 1st generation crazies. lol. my sister also believes this to be true, and will argue it it the death! and has taught her children the same.

as i replied to the other post- I would not only be HIGHLY offended, as my children need know NOTHING of religion until they are old enough to make an INFORMED decision, at which point they will be exposed to ALL religion (with christianity very low on the list). not only would i be outraged, i would be drawing attention to her blatant disrespect, and contacting the ACLU (along with as many media sources as i could get involved), to have her made an example of.
    if she were an Atheist, preaching her beliefs, this would already have happened.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• "if she were an Atheist, preaching her beliefs, this would already have happened. "

Doubtful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The reason it is at Dec. 25 is that he was supposedly born within 9 months of the Crucifiction. The Church calculated nine months from that date and Dec. 25 was the day they stopped at. It isn't because it was an old established pagan holiday. It is because the prophecy lead them to the date. So, yes, we do think it is possibly the birth date.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• my children need know NOTHING of religion until they are old enough to make an INFORMED decision, at which point they will be exposed to ALL religion (with christianity very low on the list).

sounds like your will still be informing them of YOUR beliefs, even when they are old enough to make THEIR own decisions!!!  Childhood need not be about taking everything so seriously. That's what adulthood is for!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• that is the day we celebrate jesus' birthday. he was born a looooong time ago..... do you really think that it could be exact lol. i can barely remember hubby's birthday lol. but anyway, does she have any other famous people's birthday on the calendar? bc alot of other religions believe in Christ, not that he is the Messiah, but that he existed....... maybe she has the birthday of other famous people noted too? idk. if not, she is wrong (and btw, i am christian)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It just wouldn't bother me at all if the teacher were to post Jesus', Buddha, Ramadan or any religion, because I want my child to know and understand them all. I think that most educated, intelligent people these days understand that this is life. You like it or you don't. It goes on. Everyone is different. I am diverse. I want my child to be. I am married to a Muslim. I celebrate Christmas, but I want them to know each and every different religion and UNDERSTAND it. I have no issues whatsoever with anyone beliefs... even yours Sabrina. So, go for it. The best class I ever attended was World Religions.

Carry on world.... Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• to all of the "christians" who did not feel the need to answer, but rather to debate MY answer... my children know nothing of my beliefs, and i try desperately not to involve them in any religious discussion. that is why i am so highly offended when people feel it is okay to expose a child that they have not contributed genetic material to, to any form of religion. i live in the bible belt, which means that %95 of all the local residents are religiously affiliated- and usually christian. being the minority, and not on the war path, it is extremely hard to raise a child with an open and accepting outlook- and not have them duped into believing in a very closed minded religious presentation- which i believe is harmful.

NOW back to the question at hand... please read and respond to the quastion header posted at the TOP of the page. (:

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Honestly it wouldnt bother me. I mean if ou think about it, it was probably a few of the kids that asked the teacher what about his bday?
    Christian children go to public school too.

I think it is pretty petty to start a beef over something as small as this. All she did was write that on the board. It isnt like she is sitting there preaching or making them recite bible verses.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Oh and no we dont teach that he was born in Dec. we tell our kids that it is a season of giving and caring. The things that Jesus did in his life. It is a wonderful way to celebrate his life
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2009