Getting my 3 year old to clean his room!

well here it is... I have a 3 yr old that wont clean his room anymore. He used to keep it clean and everything had it own place and now he says "I cand do it" or "I need help". I am at the point of taking all the toys to a local resale or even donate them to shelters. Please help me I am looking for oter ways to not have to throw any toys out and ways that he may be able to keep it clean! Here is the Question How do you get your chikd to keep his/her room(s) clean?

AbbeyKAy

Asked by AbbeyKAy at 10:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is a phase don't fight with him. Get in there and make it a game and help him. Just do not make it into a power struggle, you will lose.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• my daughter used to do it all on her own too, and now like your son, she needs help or whatever...
    I sing to her while she picks up "pick up, pick up....la la la la la! " over and over again to a tune. That helps her, so you make a game out of it.
    Also, i've found she's MORE WILLING to pick up stuff if I'M HELPING...even if it's 2 toys out of the whole room. I can imagine for that age it's a bit overwhehlming to have to pick up a totally thrashed room lol
    I'm going to start implimenting on my daughter that she plays with one toy at a time. when she's finished with the toy, she has to put it away before getting another one. If she doesn't, then she can't play with something else.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Your child is 3 and shouldn't be expected to clean his room by himself. Go in there and help him. Make it a fun game. Tell him to see who can pick up and put away the most toys..you or him. You go really slow and only pick up a few. Or set a timer and tell him if he picks up and puts away all his toys before the timer goes off, he can get a special treat. Something small--a cookies, piece of candy, a sticker. As he gets older and you show him more, he will be able to do more on his own. Kids are not mini adults and need to be shown how to do things.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I went through the same thing with mine at 3yrs old. Here is an example of how I fixed it: He had some flash cards that needed picking up. The rule was he had to help, everything that I had to pick up on my own (meaning if he got distracted and started playing instead of helping) got put into a sack and stayed in my room until he actually helped with his mess for 3 days in a row. I think it took 5 days for him to get them back but he got the point and if memory serves, I didn't have to take anything else for any length of time. Make sure to give reminders and be very specific about the rules. My son asked me every day if he could have them back and each day I reminded him of what it would take to get them back. Also use LOTS of positive reinforcment. (= Hang out, help, give specific direction, make it fun if you can, and be consistent. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Your child is learning the "art of manipulation." How do they do that?!?!? Sneaky boogers....lol You can outsmart him by saying "I guess we cant go to the park today because your room is messy...oh well." Or if my daughter asked for ice cream, I asked her, "Is your room clean?" What ever her answer was, like no, was my answer no. If yes was the answer to her room being clean, then yes was my answer to ice cream.

I also used to get in there and help my dd. Dont make it to complicated for a 3 yr old. My dd had a toy basket where ALL the toys went and a Barbie basket for all her Barbie junk. When I helped her pick up her toys, we turned it into a game of basketball. I also have a huge rule....NO clothes on the floor. Clothes are important and a privilege to have and we must take care of them.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:55 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Why on earth would you want him to grow up so fast and take on such a large responsibility? You can teach him a little at a time like picking up his toys but cleaning his room? That is just too much to ask a little child. You are the mom. That's your job but make it fun and have him help. Make it a game and he'll be more willing to help.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I prefer to help because then he'll help me with other areas of the house. If I leave him alone to clean his room then as far as he's concerned he's done his part for the day. If I help him pick up his room then he'll help me pick up the rest of the house too which not only saves me time but it means he's being useful instead of making a mess elsewhere. He knows that we can do something fun when we're all done cleaning. Now I give my guy a choice. He can help and we'll be done in time to do something fun together or he can not help and we won't have time for fun. Most of the time he chooses to help and I know when he doesn't that it's because he's really tired or just having a super lazy day and sometimes I'll go on strike and be lazy with him in that case because we all need a day off once in a while.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• i help my son clean his room and we sing the clean up song!
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2009