Is there a good argument against the flat tax? I never heard one yet.

It seems to make sense to me use a percentage like 10 or 15 % for everybody. No matter how high or low your income. I have never heard a good argument against this, but they avoid doing this.

shellbyrne

Asked by shellbyrne at 10:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm for it. Everyone pays the same.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The only one I have hears is that its harder for the poor....i.e. 10% of $30,000 is $3000......10% of $250,000 is $25,000.....the argument is that its way easier for the richer person to come off that amt then it is for the poorer person to come off that amount. I dont agree with this. I do not think its fair that one portion (I think the number is like 8%) pays 85% of all income taxes paid. Whenever I ask someone who is for taxing the rich MORE how MUCH more should they carry (90%, 100%) I never get an answer. I dont have a problem with the flat tax. But it will never happen.. Just like SOME in Washington dont want to have to carry the HC they want the rest of us to have, they dont want to live by the same environmental standards they want the rest of us too, they also dont want lose the loopholes that they are able to get through with the current tax law.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• But hey....I am just "spewing my hateful venom"

wink

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• people do not this is because they believe the higher end should pay more.The lower end, I think, get money from the government to offset what they will have to give.

The fair tax I think it should be looked at. People pay as they shop, Now that would be fair!!
    If I want something I would have to safe up for it. And don't tell the poor can't do that, some of them have better toys than I have.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• A flat tax with a low-income threshold makes sense to me. However I haven't researched it much since it doesn't seem possible for the government to become less complicated.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The only argument I've heard is that it's supposedly "not fair" to the poor. So it's a moral question? I thought the same rate would be "fair". So I guess it is interpretation....

shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 12:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• to me it sounds fair, but then again i am stuck at the higher end
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• 10% off someones salary that makes 24,000 a year will hurt them immensly, 10% off someone who makes 250,000 wont. so it is not fair.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

So they will give the gov money , and the gov will turn around and give it back to them? doens't make sense

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It is fair to the rich and the poor. Why should those that work hard to earn the degree, get the good paying job and work endless hours be penalized? Why should the business owner that puts their blood, sweat and tears into their business...which employs people...be penalized for succeeding?

The problem I may have is where business is concerned. It works fairly simply for those that simply earn a salary. A business might bring in $300,000 a year and have $200,000 in expenses leaving a profit of only $100,000. Is it fair to tax them for the business expenses...which includes salaries? As a business owner I wouldn't go for a flat tax on $300,000 because that would mean I would pay even more than before..every expense would have a 10% tax added to it, salaries, the cost of the actual goods we sell, insurance, utilities, mortgage... Tax me on just my profit, which is actually what the wage earner would pay.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2009