Should I take her to the hospital?

My 9 week old is really not seeming like she's feeling good. I think she has thrush because she has little white patches on her tongue and roof of her mouth. She also appears to be cutting some teeth, she has little buds and she's drooling a lot and sucking on her hands and fingers a lot.

What's worrying me is that sometimes she doesn't want to eat, she refuses and I'm having a hard time with her and she is just crying hysterically all day and night. She will be fine, cooing and smiling one minute and then on a turn of a dime she starts screaming like she's dying...it's scary! I can't get her to calm down when she does this, I rock her, cuddle her, bounce her, try to feed her, try to burp her, sing to her, talk to her...nothing makes her calm down and she'll do that for like 15 min. straight. The only thing that seems to help is if I walk around the house with her but if I move just a little differently she is screaming!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's never been this fussy and it's scaring me! My grandma suggest Gentian Violet for her thrush so I gave her some and I've given her a small amount of tylenol (my doctor ok'd it) and some baby oragel.

Will thrush and teething make a baby that cranky? Should I take her to Children's Hospital?

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Take her. They always tell me, if they start decreasing in food it's not good. Obviously she's in some kind of pain if she just freaks out on you. Maybe an ear infection or something.
    Take her!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Are you treating both of you every time she nurses with the gentian violet? If not, she could get it from you after hers clears. Thrush can make a baby's mouth very sore, and they will refuse to have anything in their mouths. If she does skip several feedings, gets dehydrated, or just doesn't improve in a few days, she should see a doctor. It doesn't sound like an emergency yet; but you should call her doctor(if they're in), the hospital, or a nurse line to see if she really needs to go in, since most of us aren't doctors and can't see your baby to see how she is.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:35 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It's thrush and maybe a touch of colic. The drooling is because her saliva glands kicked in, preparing for her to have food later (much later) and she doesn't know how to swallow her drool yet. She's chewing on her hands because she discovered them.

I don't think it warrants a visit to the ER. Why expose her to lord only knows what there when she's not sick now? Call the doctor and ask about treating her for thrush. And yes, as mentioned, you do have to treat both of you for it or you'll keep passing it back and forth.

She doesn't want to eat because the thrush hurts.

Get you both treated for the thrush!
    Anonymous