How is it that...

That the general consensus is that it is OK for a "christian" to share beliefs outside of a church settings (even when it is explicitly stated by law that this can NOT happen in certain settings). BUT that it is not OK for an Atheist to randomly tell a child (or adult) that does not share their beliefs, that there is NO god? (this also applies to ALL other Religious Affiliations that are not derived from any christian sect. Atheism was used only as an example for this scenario).

I am genuinely interested in the defensive measures of any of the christian sects to combat the every growing enlightenment of North American populous , specifically in the US.
PLEASE, DO NOT QUOTE SCRIPTURE. IT HAS NO DEFENSE TO A "NON BELIEVER" AND HOLDS NO SUBSTANCE.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:42 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• please overlook my "pytos" i am trying to squeeze in a question while i clean, do laundry, make lunch, and mediate the game of "musical chairs" that is becoming perilously close to the hearth... i love rain, but the kids get sooo pent up!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:44 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I was always under the impression that it IS legal for christians to minister. But yes, I see your point. I think its ok to tell someone about God because its, well, good and brings hope. Telling someone there is no God is rather crushing and leaves a person blank. IMO
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• there ARE several arenas in which it is illegal to "minister" or to "witness"... depending on which state you reside in.

curious... why is it crushing to realize that there is no god? (genuinely curious) religion feels so oppressing to me (and most individuals like me) that i have a hard time connecting a lack of religion to despair. or why someone would make that association.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I reay don't see a problem so much in the mainstream pubic of what you are describing but if you want a defense one would be sharing a beliefs the other would be telling a kid their belief is wrong.

I really don't hear kids talking about a God that much, My son started dating a girl last week. I asked if she goes to church and if wanted to invite her to church with us.

He said he didn't know about her faith but he did ask if she was atheist(that is the one line he won't cross when dating because he saw the problems different beliefs caused in my marriage with his father) after that he said there was no further discussion. I also can't think of one time when a person told my kids there wasn't a God. I am sure there are examples of this happening, but for the majority, I don't think this is the norm
    Anonymous

• Many have forgotten that we are to preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words. We are to show our love for God by what we do for others. Then and only when a questionis asked we answer. To push the word is the best way to turn people off. There are number of Dominations that think they are to push. Most of the time what they push is false in itself, and throws even more confusion into the mix. No wonder there are so many atheists out there. You are more then welcome to share what you believe but be ready for others to tell you their own beliefs. As for telling children what you believe with mine I don't have a problem with that. If Christians are strong in what they believe then their children should be well versed enough to understand, and ask questions. You telling a child what you believe will not cause them not to believe.

Anonymous

• The fact is you live in a country  were the majority of people are Christian so it will be hard for people with non-christian beliefs. If someone told my kids there was no God I would explain to them that this is what some people believe but I believe very differently and yes God does exist. If I lived in country that was mostly Muslim I would try to find ways to honor my own beliefs. Same goes if I lived in a country that was mostly Atheist or Jewish.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• why is it crushing to realize that there is no god? (genuinely curious)

it would be like telling me I don't have a brother, or mother. not crushing, just not reality. Why is it so crushing to you to realize that people have had personal experiences that proves to them there is a God? God has helped me out and carried me in some difficult times, to ME, it is oppressive to crush God out of your life. It is easy for me to connect no religion to despair and lost souls...

We all have different beliefs i guess.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 12:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 by: Anonymous
    ...but if you want a defense one would be sharing a beliefs the other would be telling a kid their belief is wrong.

If the kid has been brought up to believe that there are no gods than sharing the belief would be telling them their beliefs are wrong as well. It could be flipped either way.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• anon 12:12 i see your point- and yes, religion conflicts in a relationship are a HUGE barrier. inter faith dating or marriage rarely ever works.
    why though, would you ever feel that it is okay to tell a child that what they believe is wrong? that crosses the same line you described to me in the situation of dating an atheist. even if you were attempting to save ones immortal soul (which does not apply to the majority of religions in the same way as it applies to christianity), it would still be wrong, and highly disturbing to the the child in question, to be told that they believed in the wrong thing- that would be a personal attack.
    it is one thing to witness to an adult, but i believe that innocent untainted children should be left out of the religious arena.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• uh anon 12 here, I don't remember (or read) anyplace that I said I told kids their beliefs are wrong.

If you are asking why I take my kids to church, well because that is what I believe is the right thing to do. You might feel that I should not bring my kids to church but I feel I should. Until I put them in an abusive situation that concerns church, I feel you are out of line to tell me to keep my children out of the religious arena, as I have not told you I feel your children should be in church.

If you are asking about me asking my son if his g/f practices relgion, that is because I wanted him to know I was OK with him bringing her to church if she was comfortable.

I have NEVER told a kid their beliefs are wrong and honestly feel only a small percent of the Christians population would do such a thing.

For the record, my youngest is 5 my oldest is 17, all my children have shown a personal relation with God.
    Anonymous