Why should she have to wait?

My 3 year old is extremely smart but since she was born in October she can't start pre-k in 2010 she has to wait til 2011. I think that is so dumb! If she were to start next year, she'd turn 4 in October so what's the big deal? Why should she have to wait a whole year when she's clearly up to par with the other kids that were born up til September? Is there any way I can take her to the school nearby and maybe have her tested, and if she passes maybe she can start pre-k in fall 2010? I'm not trying to get her out of the house or shorten her child years but I really think she is very smart and should be in school next year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Our area lets you appeal he age requirement. Its worth a phone call.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The cut off date is different for different areas, so you can move.
    Or
    She may be advanced at 2-3 but that doesn't mean she will stay advanced later in life.
    or
    Maybe she is not socially ready for the demands of pre-K.
    You can try to get an exception, but I don't see it happening. Most places hold fast to their cut off dates.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• it has more to do with social maturity than academic readiness. plan on doing some in home work with her, and get her ready to blow the other kids socks off. my dd entered k-5 as a full fledged reader... spend your one on one time doing fun activities that will help her cognitive abilities, and she'll soar!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:47 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Because it isn't always about how smart a child is, it is also about how mature the child is. Socialization and being independent of mom and dad are just as important. There has to be a cutoff at sometime. If you don't like it, complain to the school system and see if there is something you can do, but don't count on it. You can also homeschool because I will guarantee there will be a lot more you won't like and will complain about in the public school system (or even private school system).

You already asked this question in another area, so you must not have recieved the answers you were looking for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I have a friend who's daughter is the same way, and told her the same thing. You can possibly ask, as she did, the district for pre school materials and get her work books from bookstores so she can learn on her own at home, until they will allow her in school. Then you may be able to test up in grades, so she's not held back and does not get bored with the material for her age/grade.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I am the OP

When I say she is smart I don't mean just academically I'm referring to her maturity level also. I have never asked this question before. I guess I will check out the local elementary school and see what advice they give. Thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• One of my best friends son was born on Oct 2. He missed the cut off by only a few hours. They had him tested to see if he could start early and the state wouldnt let him.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 12:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Because everyone thinks their kids are smart. I'm not saying yours isn't, but there have to be guidelines.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Ok, this is coming from someone who started kindergarten at the age of 4. Only do it IF you are sure you are doing this for HER best interests and you are NOT pushing her or the issue. I got pushed and it drove me suicidal. I was pushed so hard I could've graduated high school at 15 (convinced them to make me wait till I was 16). So this could lead down a very bad road if you don't take precautions.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The cut off is not just a cut off it is to help keep children who are not only about the same ability but same maturity. You child will be a few months to a year younger then the rest of the kids, she may be smart but she may not have the maturity or attention span that the older kids have.

Now if you feel she needs to start school, there are many daycare/preschool centers that offer Pre-K starting at 3 years old. I would find one that works more at the child's pace. That way your daughter stays challenged intellectually and gets the time she may or may not need to mature, develop interpersonal skills, and learn how to manage the world without you right there. All equally important skills for a child.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2009