How do you and your husband handle injuries?

I was just thinking about this.... My husband gets so upset when Marsae gets hurt. She's only six months, so I start to wonder about a broken arm later, or something pretty severe.

The worst that's happened is falling backwards while in the sitting position. She rolled off the couch a couple of weeks ago. We have carpet, and our couch does not sit high. She landed on her side. She didn't hurt her head, no bruises, it just knocked the wind out of her. My husband was the one watching her, and he just started crying, he felt so guilty. I had to calm them both down.

I, on the other hand, am a slow reactor. Analytical, I have to look at it from all angles. I mean I picked her up and had to soothe them both, I'm just saying... I'm a lot slower to react. Not as emotional. Direct... what is the best possible way to help in this situation?

MommyToMarsae

Asked by MommyToMarsae at 11:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Explain to him that he can fall apart later, but in the immediate time, he has to hold it together for the baby. They feed off of adults! If she falls backward, she'll start waiting for YOUR reaction to see if she should be hurt or not! LOL Seriously! All three of mine did that eventually. If you rush up all worried and upset, she's going to start crying and maybe screaming. If you calmly say, "you're okay, roll over" (or whatever) while visually looking her over, she's going to giggle and go on her merry way.
    Anonymous

• We wait to see how it is befor we react. i find the less we react the bette rthey handle it!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• We're teaching our kids to "brush it off", or if our toddler runs into a table (happens more often than you think) we'll say "bad table!" or something silly like that. If it's a bad injury, we'll check to make sure its not life threatening, then kiss his boo-boo and then give him some "kisses to go" that he can "put in his pocket" to use later if it still hurts. Be careful with this though, my oldest broke his collar bone last year (5 y/o at the time) and never complained of any pain, just couldnt move his arm that well.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• OMG, you sound like you have the sweetest husband, haven't you heard the song by gary allen, tough little boys?

Your husband is a big baby now that he has a baby, he's going to get upset about that kind of stuff but just let him know its okay and its not his fault.. i think its sweet lol... good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• MY HUSBAND OVER REACTS, HE IS THE ONE WHO LEFT THE BASEMENT DOOR OPEN AND BABY DECIDED TO TRY TO SLIDE DOWN ON TUMMY TO SEE WHAT BABA WAS DOING. HE GOT FREAKED OUT. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN AND I ALWAYS TELL HIM THAT. HE GETS MORE UPSET THAN I DO BUT I DID ALSO RAISE MY 5 YEAR OLD MYSELF AND WENT THROUGH THE OWIES WITH HIM. AS LONG AS THE BABY IS FINE, HE WILL GET OVER IT.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 10:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2009