Lice at school.

My daughter is in kindergarten. I use a special shampoo on her that prevents lice from going to her head and I always look for lice when I see her scraching her head. Luckily, no lice yet!
Anyway, I picked her up from school yesterday and there were 2 other girls- one was scraching her her very roughly and I actually saw lice walking on the other girl's head!!

I talked to the teacher and she said that there are some kids with lice in the class and their parents know but haven't done anything about it. Shouldn't the school make the parents stop this? When I was a kid kids with lice weren't allow to go to school until they were clean!

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 11:55 AM on Dec. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Change schools fast! My dd got lice when she was little and it was a nightmare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• do ponytails and stuff. Don't let her go to school with her hair free on her back.
    Anonymous

• I dont' know where your daughter goes to school, but here in IL they dont' allow them to go to school until they've been treated.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• here they dont care either. we have 2 days each week where i sit my girls down and check there heads because the school dloesnt check for lice anymore, and doesnt keep kids with lice home. luckily my kids havnt had it yet. its about all the budget cuts the schools in my area have taken. they cant afford to check for lice and if they keep kids home for it they lose more budget due to absent students.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It depends on how big an issue it is in your area. If lots of kids have it, the school can't send them all home. It's not about budget at our school. It's about #1 we needs the school so they will learn and #2 parents refuse to come pick the kids up. If only a few get it a year then they can send them home.

I teach at a school with a HUGE lice problem. There is really nothing we can do about the fact that some parents just don't bother with it. The good news is the only kids who have really chronic problems are the ones whose parents don't treat the lice. 

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It sounds like you already have a handle on the situation because your aware. You can keep your daughters hair up as often as possible and spritz it with a little hair spray. The most important thing is to check frequently so if she does get them you can get rid of them before it gets too bad. I've been teaching for 12 years and have been hugging kids with lice probably every day. I've never gotten it. If you're careful you can avoid it most of the time.
    maxswolfsuit

• Yeah, it doesn't sound right that they are still allowed to be in school if they have it. Sheesh.
    Anonymous

• I'd tell the superintendent or whatever and keep ur kid out of school if she hangs with those girls, and intill everyone doesnt have loce anymore. I'd walk up to the girls and tell them to tell there moms and also talk to the principal about getting out notes about lice. I'd get something done about it fast before ur daughter gets it and brings it home to ur whole house.
    Anonymous

• Complain to the principal, NO kid should be at school until the lice is gone. You can threaten to call the health department too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• At our school if your child has lice they may not attend and they MUST get checked by the school nurse before returning to class.
    Anonymous