What is the longest a dr will let a pregnancy go ?

chevygal671

Asked by chevygal671 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 2 weeks past due date, but most will induce far before then.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• not much after your due date.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I went 3 weeks after my due date but the night before I was to go in for a csection we ran out of gas and I had to walk 2 miles home and it threw me into labor.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• THERE IS NO LAW STATING THAT YOU MUST BIRTH YOUR CHILD WITHIN A CERTAIN TIME FRAME.

YOU should be the only one deciding to induce, or have a elective c-sec... medical science does not in any way dictate how/when a woman should birth. it is not illegal to go as far past your EDD (ESTIMATED due date) as it takes for you and your baby to be ready.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• usually 42 weeks if everything is ok otherwise. and for the poster above me.... no there are no laws but the placenta does start to become lose function after 42 weeks, so they have to keep that in mind.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• and also they want the baby out befor the first bowel movement if they can. so usually no longer than 42wks.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 12:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• having meconium in the amniotic fluid is possible at any point in the last trimester, and no more likely at 30 weeks than at 40+, it usually occurs when the fetus is experiencing stress... going beyond your EDD has nothing to do with the probability that it will occur. that is never an excuse for induction. it is also not at all life threatening, and should not be mentioned as a factor. the ONLY reason for an induction or c section is if the fetus or mother would otherwise DIE. not be caused risk, discomfort, for convenience or medical liability. why are women so uninformed as to believe the misinformation that they are presented with? *sigh*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I agree with everything the above poster said.
    You have the right to refuse induction at any point.
    I did and my 42w 2d baby came out perfect!!!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I also want to add the the rate of stillbirth doesn't increase until 43 weeks...and even then, it's still smaller than the stillbirth rate at 38 weeks.

50-80% of women will birth later than 41 weeks, if they aren't pushed into induction or other interventions. Most doctors step in based on assumptions that aren't really based in science.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Usually 42 weeks, but you never really know if you due date is correct. With my 3rd child they thought she was 9 days late and it turned out that she was actually a week early. They did gestational age testing to check, because there was a little confusion.
    A m/c caused my hormones to be off and I tested positive before I should have, but other things factor into it, like late ovulation.
    Your baby will come when he/she is ready. I wouldn't let them induce unless the baby was in some sort of stress.
    Anonymous