How do we get back to sharing?!...

My daughter Skylie (22 mo.) used to be a really good sharer!! She would make sure everyone in the room had a toy, no matter what age you were. And if she wanted something you had, she'd trade for it. I thought that was relatively good social behavior for an almost 2 year old. But she started seeing her cousin Janice (over 2 years) on a regular basis. (my sitter is their grammy). And with all the interaction with her cousin (who sad to say has some bad habits) my daughter has started hoarding toys. She learned the word "MINE!" and I hate it! She only does it with other babies, and she never used to. But she picked up this bad habit. How do i get her back into sharing? How do i stop this terrible two nonsense that she never had before?! =[

Jennie_Bean

Asked by Jennie_Bean at 1:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• and anyone who doesnt understand the toddler needs to get a grip on reality

That is a very stupid statement in my opinion. It's never too early to start teaching sharing and manners.
    Anonymous

• mine are like that too sometimes, but theyre not around others, she will come around! if u want give them truns playing, she may scream but make her share (i have to do this sometimes) my oldest sometimes want my youngests toy because he has it and I dont let her get it.
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Sharing is not normal toddler behavior and they should not be forced to do it in my opinion... when they approach age 4 the preschooler years thats when it should be reintroduced SLOWLY... and anyone who doesnt understand the toddler needs to get a grip on reality
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 1:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2009