When you got married..

did you have someone paln it, or did you do it all on your own? I'm trying to do it all on my own, but it's so freakin hard. Were aiming for a budgte a little under 2000. But I added most of it up and it's around 2500. So i've been cutting tons of things out, and it seems like it's making no difference. I don't know what to do about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We did it all ourselves. We got married at our Churches temple so that didn't cost us anything. We also used out church building as a reception place. It was free to use and we just had a pot luck dinner. The only thing that cost us was the cake, dress, decoration, tux rental, and favors.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 1:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Is it a possibility to alleviate some stress by saving up for that extra $500? It's stressful enough having to plan your own wedding, but planning it and trying to cut things out and fight a budget really tops the cake!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Have you thought about an outside wedding? And as someone else said have family bring covered dishes to it so you will only have to pay for the meat? My friend did this and it turned out great.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My mom and I planned our wedding. She's a florist, so that helped a tone. I spent around $2000. I had the groom's family pay for the rehersal dinner (that's tradition) and the photographer and pictures, which helped out a ton. My uncle video taped the wedding. My mom bought the flowers whole sale and did them herself. I had a local lady make our cake (it was beautiful and delicious) and we served fruit, cheese, and crackers since the wedding wasn't during lunch or supper hours. I bought 10 disposable cameras and set them out on tables at the reception for guests to catch candid shots (which turned out great).

Take a deep breath and stop trying to make your wedding a big ordeal (which you can't do on such a tight budget any way). Just make it simple and loving, filled with friends and family that mean something to you.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• we planned it ourselves :).. my first wedding was cheap lol shotgun wedding~ but we renewed our vows this yr :) and did everything we wanted to do but couldn't the 1st time around! StoreOfDress.com is where i bought the dresses and LOVED them!! i made my own cake :), printed out our invites, and rented the tuxes from the mall
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 1:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I feel close family can help with the meal by bringing something (eirther way it is a "family"event youre getting married!) I think something simple, outdoors, with the closest of ur family and friends to be invited. Nothing extravagant, but elegant enough for your taste! :)
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I planned mine myself. It was so stressful and the biggest pain in my ass but worth it! We too were trying to spend as little as possible. My advice, go cheap on things your guests will never care about or remember. I had a friend who spent 5,000 dollars on flowers and a year later none of us could even remember what kind she had and we were bridesmaids! Centerpieces are another thing people won't remember, I made my own. I got my designer dress on ebay brand new and 75% cheaper. Skip or be cheap on things people will throw away like fancy invitation, they can be nice when they are cheap too. Hire a photographer experienced but just starting out. Ours was 650 dollars for 10 hours plus a free engagement picture session and over 1,000 wedding photos. 2 years later she now charges almost 3,000 dollars for the same package!

Good luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• We did it ourselves very simple yet nice. No big frills, it's the marriage not the wedding that you have to worry about.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 1:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My family helped to plan everything. At times I wished I had hired someone, though.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• We did it ourselves. We married at a chapel in town, just us. It was inexpensive and unforgettable! No need to spend so much money on one day!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2009