No cycles..........no matter what! (sorry so long)

Hello there! I am a mother to a beautiful 27 month old girl. I have never had normal cycles since I started when I was 10. I would always go for like 9-10 months without an AF, then have a 2-3 month long AF (usually heavy bleeding the whole time). Have been put on many different BC meds throughout the years......never could regulate. Then when my DH and I were TTC, I was being told by my doctors that I more than likely had PCOS, and may never conceive. Then a few weeks after being told that, my doctor had trouble doing my pap. Said there was a blockage and sent me a week later for an ultrasound. LOL Turns out I was 5 months pregnant!!!!! Never did regulate after having my daughter as hoped. Have in the last few months done 2 10-day rounds of hormones........still no AF. I have an appointment with my doctor this upcoming week to discuss further options. Any opinions or good experiences with other types of hormone therapy??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I used clomid and that seemed to work for us.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 1:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• By BC meds do you mean the pill? What kind of hormones were you treated with for 10 days?

If you are diagnosed with PCOS the treatments are usually the pill, the viginal ring, or the patch. If the pill didn't work perhaps you don't have PCOS. I would ask for a referral to a fertility specialist to get a proper diagnosis.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Is Clomid a pill as well? How long at a time do u use that? Yes, BC pills of all sorts over the last 15 years. The recent hormones I tried for the 10 days each was MEDROXYPROGESTERONE 10MGTABLETS and PROMETRIUM 100MG CAPSULES with not help. After my daughter was born I had the Mirena in for like a year. About the PCOS thing, I was always getting cysts and they were rupturing. Also, I was having diabetic like episodes but all blood sugar testing was normal.

thia_josh

Answer by thia_josh at 2:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Clomid is a pill that helps with ovulation. It took me 4 cycles to get pregnant.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 4:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• CLOMID is the key!
    iloveRiver

Answer by iloveRiver at 4:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Thank you for all the answers! I will ask my doctor thursday about Clomid as the next step.
    thia_josh

Answer by thia_josh at 5:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• You may also want to ask about insemination- Clomid by itself made me ovulate, but the insemination helped up our chances (and worked the first time) If you do have PCOS, I would skip the OBGYN and go straight to a fertility specialist. They are more costly, but they have extensive training. Just decide how far you want to go. We decided we would do everything up to IVF. Good luck- we tried for 4 1/2 years before getting our miracle. And we are definately better parents after going through all of that!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Insemination?!?? Unfortunately, I can't afford a specialist yet. I was hoping something of a lesser extreme would help. My system just doesn't seem to want to get where it should be. Just before I was put on the hormones, I became seriously anemic from a 2 month spell of what they called "dysfunctional uterine bleeding". I was flowing so heavy that I almost passed out at work. And I was scared because I had huge clots the whole time too. I ended up in emergency and had to get 2 liters of fluids, on the verge of needing blood. And of course I am still battling the anemia. All amongst that, I was also battling depression. Thankfully that is better now. I know that I should slow down and try to get my body in a little more order.......but I guess you all know where I'm coming from, wanting it to happen "right now". Thankfully I do have my precious miracle little girl even if I can't have any more.
    thia_josh

Answer by thia_josh at 12:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• This is insanely simple but I'll throw it out anyway: Have you ever had your thyroid tested? Thyroid hormones control the reproductive system. If your ovaries don't get the right signals from your brain, through the thyroid, it can really throw your reproductive system off.
    What about Metaform to regulate the blood sugar episodes? Has anyone mentioned hypoglycemia? It's basically the opposite of diabetes - your BS goes too low, too fast in between meals. Fortunately, it can be easily regulated with diet.
    I would ditch the drugs and hormones for awhile. I would find a doctor who doesn't just treat with medication but one who will look at nutrition, activity, mental health, all the things that affect your health and go with that for a year or so.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009