Cereal Issues with a 7 Month Old (Gagging)

I had my son on cereal when he was 5 months old and he seemed to really like it. Now he gags when I feed it to him. I've even tried to get the cereal in a jar. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do? He doesn't take it mixed with any fruit either. He gags on rice, oatmeal and all other kinds. I don't know how to supplement this to him.

momtoblake

Asked by momtoblake at 1:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried any food that is thicker or has chunks my DD hated stage one foods I went to Stage 3 food right away cause she hated the texture!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My DS is 8mos now, but for the last month, I've been trying to get him to eat stage 3s. He's been fine on stage 2s, and I can mix cereal in his, but he does NOT like the texture with the chunks of stage 3. You may be able to take say, Fruity Pebbles for example, and let them get soft in breastmilk/formula whichever you use and see if he'll take the carbs/fiber that way. I have been giving my DS cheerios, and he LOVES them. If you can skip using a kind of baby food and your baby will take solids, good for you!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• There is no reason to feed a baby cereal, baby foods, baby cookies, puffs, ect. Babies can eat people food. With a fork mash up a little banana, sweet potato, or avocado and put it in front of him and let him feed himself. You don't ever have to spoon feed a baby. Baby foods are over processed and it can be hard for babies to eat from a spoon. The are also over priced and most of them taste bad. Foods you give can be more nutritious.

I have a problem with swallowing because of meds I have to take. It seems strange but soup and foods that are liquid that you have to eat from a spoon can be impossible to swallow. It almost seems like the back of ther tongue has no texture to grab on to to propell the food down your throat. Your baby may just have a harder time than most.

www.kellymom.com is a breastfeeding website that has good info for all babies about starting solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Its perfectly normal. They aren't used to the new textures so they gag on it a bit, you just need to make sure its small enough that they won't choke on it. Good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• supplementing anything before 1 year is not nutritionally necessary. if a baby gags on food, they shouldn't be eating yet (even if they previously have). period. see out information from a NUTRITIONIST not a ped. ped's job is medicine, not food.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Did anything change in the consistency? That's my first thought.

Other than that, just start trying regular foods...soft and diced up.
    Anonymous

• Babies gag as a reflex to keep things out of their airway or things that stick and might get stuck. He SHOULD gag on any thing that can potentially get into the airway. Food before 1 is just for fun so don't worry about it.

Avoid all of that commerical stuff. It is a marketing ploy and a waste of money. The rice cereals taste particularly nasty and just thinking about it makes ME gag! Let the baby guide you. Give him REAL food...the same sorts of food you eat. You are less likely to have a picky eater if you allow him to experiment and regulate what goes in his own mouth.

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• He doesn't NEED any cereal so I wouldn't worry about it....
    Rice cereal especially is just empty calories... a filler... it has almost no nutritional value
    If you want him to have cereal try regular oatmeal vs the baby kind, maybe he would like that more.
    And play with the texture... make it thin and work your way up to thicker... with my son he liked his foods thick even when he was just starting out... by the time he was 7 months his foods were about mashed potato consistency
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2009