Need Help my husband gave my one month old strawberry quick!

I am very upset I went to the store and my husband told me he gave the baby strawberry quick with water because he was crying. I have fed the baby before I left. I was only gone for 35 min. I am scared now can this harm him? He is only 6 weeks old, should I take him to the E.R?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LOL OH MOMMA, just calm down, your probably making daddy feel soooo horrible, First get him a book about the stages for feeding infants, second, breathe! No kids that young aren't suppose to have stuff like that, but one time is not going to hurt him any, especially if he didn't have any reaction to it... Just relax and do some making up with daddy and don't be afraid to leave him alone with baby just because of this, he's still learning too, you need to teach him, good luck, no er, just be careful next time
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• no i don't think it should harm him but it doesn't need to happen again. Tell hubby nothing except milk and if you on ly breastfeed then you should always have a pumped bottle ready just incase hubby stays with baby. babies shouldn't have anything more then milk. NOT whole milk either but im sure you know that. dh's need help..lots of it.
    but don't freak out too much on him because you want him to tell you things and not hide them from you when it comes to baby.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• no. no er... people feed their kids much worse. in fact, if he is on formula, he'll be getting most of the same ingredients, minus the artificial coloring.
    he may be a little whiny, have gas, diarrhea, or gas... but he won't die. i would be living with my SO, but don't yell at him. calmly explain why the baby should only eat what was intended as food for baby, and nothing else. this is your first time? well, its his too, and its a learning process for you both. part of that process is learning how to communicate calmly about things like this. he'll be fine, like i said, maybe cranky, but fine... it doesn't actually contain strawberry either, in case you were worried about an allergic reaction. just take a deep breath!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• *would be livid.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• OH that rat==LOL, I think Daddy needs to watch mom more closely a time or 2--LOL! She will be fine, might have a little poopy diaper, but jeez what was he thinking? If she starts to swell or gets any red spots you need to take her to the doc, that might be a reaction. Hope it works out, and they do make daddy daycare classes!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding it may take your baby's digestive system a month or more to recover from just one bottle of formula. In this case you have the problem that it was milk and that milk can cause allergy problems and the younger a baby is the more difficult it is for a baby to process it through all the systems. It can cause problems with the kidneys.

If it has real strawberries your baby has been exposed to strawberries at such a young age and may be at increased risk of allergy.

Don't go to the ER, too much time would be lost. Call the poision control center to see if you need to get that milk out of her stomach. There may be nothing you can do at this point. They may want you to call an ambulance so care can start right away. That's why they are there.

Go to google and type in just one bottle marsha walker to find out more

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• LOL, he'll be ok. The strawberry flavoring is just that, flavoring, so I wouldn't worry too much about an allergic reaction. If it makes you feel better, I caught my husband feeding our daughter Strawberry Jelly when she was 2 months old (off of his finger). I was livid at the time, but looking back...she's alright.

Anonymous

• I did some quick searching and besides hurting a baby's kidneys, milk can cause internal bleeding. It would be much better to call the poision control people than listen to a bunch of moms that think just because they say everything is going to be ok that it will be.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I kind of agree with Gailll, but don't want you to be too worried. Many of us have similar stories.
    I came home once and found my husband trying to feed the baby Pepsi in his bottle, because he wanted him to "be just like me [dad]". Oh god, I wanted to strangle him. He's my ex- now. Whenever I think of this story I think we sound like crack addicts or something, but there was never any drugs/alcohol involved.
    Anonymous

• in a lot of areas, i agree with Gaill, however- if you call poison control about a baby receiving milk... well, the only response you'll get is a laugh. i hate to put it that way.
    we don't do milk, i BF, etc. etc. etc. but that is not the norm, and most americans actually believe that cows milk is good for babies. so, unless baby shows weird symptoms, i wouldn't freak out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2009