Imaginary friends...

My 5 year old has been talking about her new friend, Kasie, for about 10 days now. She said she met her at school and they're best friends. I thought Kasie was really a girl from school until just 10 minutes ago when she told me Kasie was sitting next to me on the couch.

My DD has a lot of real friends at school and in the neighborhood, so why does she need an imaginary friend as well? Is it normal? Should I take her to a dr?

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 2:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's fairly normal for children to develop imaginary friends. They are exercising their imaginations by choosing exactly what kind of friend they want, and most grow out of it. I wouldn't worry or intervene unless your daughter starts doing things she shouldn't and saying that "Kasie made her" or "Kasie did it". At that point you would need to have a talk about appropriate behavior and personal responsibility. Overall, it's fine. Kids that age love to imagine, and if there is no one else to imagine with, they will imagine someone to imagine with.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It's a ghost.
    Anonymous