Unswaddling

My daughter is 6 1/2 months and up until now has been swaddled. She has not been sleeping well and today I unswaddled her and she rolled to her belly to go to sleep. Maybe she wants to sleep like that? I'm so freaked about SIDS that I've heard back to sleep.....but once they can roll over themselves what are you supposed to do. She's our first baby so we're probably just the typical "first time parent' scared. Any words of assurance???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was freaked out too when my twins started rolling over and sleeping on their bellies. I would turn them back over everytime, and the next time I checked on them, they would be back on their belly! So I had asked the nurse that came to the house once a month (Because they were preemies, she came out to check on development and stuff) and she told me that once they could roll over to just let them sleep that way. They were fine. I didn't freak out as much with my youngest!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• exactly what angel pp said.

most babies won't tolerate being swaddled as long as yours has! count yourself fortunate. just make sure that baby doesnt have any stuffy guys or blankets that she could suffocate on, and she'll be fine!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The majority of cases of SIDS occur between 1 and 4 months. A six month old has very good head control and can roll themselves usually so its fine to let them be on their belly.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My DD is now 8 months old and she HATED being swaddled. She's been sleeping on her belly for as long as I can remember. I'm also a first time mom and I was scared to death when she would roll to her belly and fall asleep, but I just check on her at night to make sure she's okay.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• my 5 week old will only sleep on his belly if he's not being held! if i put him on his back he will wake up 30 mins later, so for my sanity and much needed sleep i let him sleep how he's comfortable, i just make sure to check on him any time i wake up!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Up until 6 months, my twin girls would not sleep unless they were swaddled. I used the Swaddlers (looks like a sack with tabs) when they were newborns. They were great because dear hubby never got the hang of swaddling, and sleep was really hard to come by in the beginning. They are my "first" babies so I have been worried about SIDS as well since they now have taken to sleeping on their bellies. They are both now 9 months old. I "flip" them every time I happen to be in their room.
    Cinnaboo

Answer by Cinnaboo at 4:13 AM on Dec. 6, 2009