my neice sees people, that aren't there. could there really be a spirit there or just a crazy imagination?

My neice (5 1/2 yrs old) is the type where you can always tell if she's lying, she's horrible @ it. So when she says she sees a little boy or a man in or around the house it freaks us out. She will be playing outside with her siblings and all of a sudden run over to us and say she sees a scary looking boy and she doesn't want to play with him. She has seen him so many times. Once she even said I'm tired of that boy outside staring @ me and shut the front door. She is obviously not happy that he's around. She has also said their is a man in the house. She doesn't ever talk to them but does mentions when they are there. The man seems to not scare her @ all just the boy. We ask her about them and she describes the boy as a normal looking boy but the way he looks @ her is what bothers her. The man on the otherhand looks like a shadow she says. What would you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OP here-We don't ever give her ideas or draw too much attention to it so I know its not us putting it in her mind. Has anyone ever dealt with this?
    Anonymous

• If the man or boy are not harming your neice. I would just tell her to ignore them.

Answer by louise2 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• You should take her to a neurologist. It could be nothing serious, but I'd check with a dr.

My sister used to see people who weren't there and we took her to a neurologist (years ago) and it was a neuro-problem.

I do believe in people with supernatural abilities, just check with a dr first.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 3:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• She's a good little actress and has you all going.
    Anonymous

• Have her evaluated by a psychiatrist because early signs of schizophrenia are hallucinations and an inability to discern between reality and make believe. It seems to me that there could be a neurological reason why she is having this hallucinations. There is a reasonable logical explanation for this. Look into it before it escalate to full blown panic attacks and or other things that could be going on.

My friend used to hear voices as a child and everybody in her family figured she must have psychic abilities. Many years after bipolar disorder was diagnosed, schizophrenia, and God knows what else. Imagine all the help she could have received if his family wasn't so gullible and ready to dismiss her syn toms. Her syn toms are the manifestation of a disorder, don't get the easy way out thinking she can see ghosts. She needs help, doctors help that is.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Children are intuitive, have you ever walked into a room and all of the sudden the hair on the back of your neck stands up? Have you ever dreamed about something then it happened? I know that my DS and I were in the car on day, and he said look mom, at all of the angel babies playing over there...I didn't give it that much thought, until the next time I drove by and noticed that it was the entrace to a cemetary, I drove in and at the entrance was where all of the babies were buried, now seriously that gave me the willies! I had a grandma who was a gypsy and she believed that some people could see spirits, IDK if I do or not, but I wouldn't make ANY deal of it at all, look at Slyvia Brown, religious or not, there have always been people--even in the bible--who could see spirits, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I agree with kimigogo
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 3:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing right around age 6. She is the same type of kid also, a terrible liar. She used to tell me that every night when she went to bed angels would line up along her wall in her bedroom and watch over her to make sure she was safe. She described them to me in detail. She said they didn't scare her, they were there to protect her and she could talk to them anytime she wanted to. This went on for some time and kind of started freaking me out. After a while though it faded and she grew out of it. I don't think it is anything to worry about unless it either A.) Starts really upsetting her or effecting her in a negative way or B.) Continues to escalate and become more often as time goes on.
    Anonymous

• ditto kimigogo! My mom is a huge Sylvia Browne fan, she has a site you can check out http://www.sylviabrowne.com/

Anonymous

• OP here- I forgot to mention something else that also complicates this. One night my sister said around 2 am she woke up because her son was crying for a bottle. And while she was getting his bottle ready in the room they heard a knock @ the room door. My sister and her 3 kids all sleep in the same room. My nephew had also waken up her oldest daughter, she's 9. And so when they asked who is it, they were assuming it was my mom, noone answered. They heard 2 very loud knock again and asked again who it was. They never got an answer. So they opened and noone was there. They asked my mom and dad the next day who it was and they said it wasn't them. Now because of this it brings us to believe that maybe she isn't making it all up.
    Anonymous