My daughter has a friend that just got into child modeling and now my daughter wants to do it too. Is letting her do this as bad as everyone says?

I'm kind of weary of letting my daughter get into modeling. I have heard so many horror stories and ugh... pageants. I"m not judging anyone who does this but I am wondering what problems has anyone had with this and also what good experiences anyone may have had.

frozenhoney

Asked by frozenhoney at 3:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Actually the classes are pretty good, they teach about manners, how to walk, how to get your picture taken and inspire confidence, lets face it,,, if she gets a contract you could go with her, but local schools and such are pretty harmless. I took modeling classes, not because I wanted to be a famous model but it did help with poise and with outgoingness. She wants to do it, so why not let her?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I worked as a marketer for child talent. You both have to be realistic about it. Most kids gain a lot of confidence taking classes like the PP said. Less than 5% really get work. Pageants arent really representative of most child models. A good agent will try to make the child look younger. Never older.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I modeled as a child and had no bad experiences, I went to classes which were wonderful for teaching not only how to properly wear and use makeup but how to have good posture and many other things. I was only allowed to take local jobs that did not interfere with school such as in storerunways or local photo shoots. My parents limited how much I was allowed to do and retained complete control of things. My parents also did not do it for me to be famous or make lots of money, it was to help my self esteem and it worked. I think as long as it is for fun then great do it but it is spendy so you have to take in to account if you can afford that as well.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I would do it just watch out for the judges and see what you like and don't like. Speak your mind to the people and if you don't like how it is you can always stop her from doing it right... cause you are the parent!
    shell81

Answer by shell81 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2009