How much do you spend on a kids birthday party?

I had my son's 1st birthday at my house so only spent around $700. That was mostly for food and decorations. For his 2nd I booked an indoor playground type of place that had bounce houses, toys, bubbles and a puppet show. The kids had pizza and there were noshy type snacks for the adults. That was for 20 kids for 2 hours. That cost around $1000.00. For my son's 3rd birthday I went back to doing it at the house. Had lots of food and rented a big water slide. That still ended up costing around $1200....but at least it was an all day thing. Anyway it all just seems like alot for a party. The cake alone costs around $150. What does everyone else do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• HOLY SHIT!!!!

I spend MAYBE $50 for decorations and make the cake myself.
    Anonymous

• There is absolutely no way I would spend that kind of money. Especially at such a young age because you're just going to be trying to "keep up" every year and the costs will just keep growing. For my daughter's last birthday I rented out the local gymnastics academy for 2 hrs with 10 other girls, supplied my own food and spent less than $100.00.

I think you may be trying to impress the other parents more than enjoy the day with your child...
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't spend that kind of money either!!! I just threw a 3rd birthday party for my daughter and I ended up splitting it with another mom. We spent I think a total of 60 pounds (around 120 dollars) on it.
    Anonymous

• Hope you had fun at those parties because honestly....your kid probably isn't going to remember it anyway! All I can say is that it must be very nice to have that kind of money to throw around.

Where in the hell do you live that a birthday party could cost that much? I mean $150 for a CAKE?!?!?! They're less than $20 at the local grocery store!!! And they both end up in the toilet!
    Anonymous

• Nothing. My kids don't do birthday parties. We take them out to eat ($50), get them a few gifts ($30-$50) and I make them a cake ($5-$7 for cake mix and frosting if I don't make it from scratch). That's it. It's just us, no other people come. So all in all we spent about $100 per kid. But we only go out to eat if we have the money and time. My son's birthday falls right before payday and my husband had to work his days off so instead I cooked him one of his favorite meals. So all in all we spent $40 for his birthday. He turned 8.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Honey I give excellent birthday parties, BUT I NEVER SPEND THAT MUCH! My parties cost around $400(gifts included). The kids have a blast, and the cake is $40. I will never give anyone $!50 for a cake that the kids will throw at each other or leave it laying around uneaten. This is too expensive for me.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I think you may be trying to impress the other parents more than enjoy the day with your child...

________________________

Op here anon....excuse my french but fuck you.
    Anonymous

• Way too much!!! I don't spend over $200 and that is for food, drinks and decorations. You can have wonderful parties for way under $700. That is what is spent on a 16th or 18th bday party or a graduation. Not on a little kids birthday party. Too me, spending that much is just trying to impress others.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I had my daughter's fifth birthday party today. We went to a horse farm, they rode ponies, made a craft, groomed horses and got a tour of the barn. Then we all had cake. It was 10 little girls, their parents and our families. It cost me 140-that was it. We have had huge parties at our house before-with bounce houses and everything and I have never spend more than 250 food included. If you want to spend a lot on their parties, and you can afford to and it makes you happy to do it for your child then by all means go for it. But just so you know-if you are creative you can have excellent parties for not much money.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• OP...

Cara....I assure you that where I live you cannot do all of that on $250.00. Even a party at Pump It Up here would couse more than that. It has nothing to do with creativity. Just renting a bounce or a water slide runs about $200 and that's on the low end.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2009