No christmas present from santa .......sorry

So my hubby and I just moved into our new apt at the end of november and we have the bare min as far as furniture. we have no bed and neither does our daughter but we have a little of everything else that we need. However , my huuby says that we shouldn't buy my four year old daughter any toys for christmas instead we should but stuff for the house. I sooo do not agree and I even cut my christmas budget down to just 100 dollars but he still says she shouldn't get anything. I feel like knocking his head in ,my daughter deserves christmas even if I have to sleep on the floor. She doesn't care that christmas should be about famliy not gifts ,she is a child and she wants presents not furniture . Do you agree?

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with you. I would definitely get her something for Christmas if you can afford it. It doesn't have to be expensive. I remember a Christmas when I was a child and didn't get anything. I wouldn't wish that on any child.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Definitely yes I agree with YOU!!!!!! Tell him you are gifting to only dd no one else. But she will have gift from you and Santa.
    Don't make it an option and don't go overboard. Thrift stores have great items for kids your dd age, plus giving her even 10 cash cash for example as part of it and shopping after Christmas as a mommy daughter day can buy things at great postChristmas Day sale prices!!!!!

You are a GOOD Mommy!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Yes get her something, even if Santa brings her a new bedroom set,,, look on Craigs list! Go to the dollar store and buy the child something, DH is being kind of a Scrooge!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I actually kind of agree with your husband. When money is tight, it is better to get things you NEED rather than things you WANT, but that don't really serve an ongoing purpose than for a day or week or month!

That said, why not try to be creative and think of ways you can accomplish BOTH objectives? Why not buy some inexpensive art projects that you and your daughter can do together to decorate your home--painted and framed pictures, decorative art pieces, photo albums, ornaments for your tree, etc? OR, if you're going to buy furniture--why not buy a couple of DVD's or books that you can read together on your new sofa/bed, etc.? OR if you're deadset on buying a present, tell her she can only choose ONE thing this year--and it has to be less than say $25 dollars. Next year, when you have a little more money (hopefully), you can make up for this year.
    Anonymous

• Get her something cheep like just a Barbie doll which will cost about 10$ if there are no Barbie accesories included. I agree with you, she's a child and she should get a present.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 3:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I am not into gift giving. I think it sends a bad message to kids. Children learn attitudes toward holidays from us. I'm more into showing her a great time with mom and dad in the new home. However, if you want to do something for her with gifts and still not make dad mad I'd buy some books and ball and small stuff from the Dollar Tree. They have great books for kids and you can read them to her. She will remember that but won't remember a lot of material gifts given over the years. Bake cookies with her. Maybe get a deck of cards and teach her the memory game (matching cards). I'd concentrate on quality time with her and that will keep peace with dad as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• We are very tight with our money. We didn't buy our kids Christmas presents before the age of 3 because they were too young to care and just enjoyed having the Christmas tree and decorations up. We would take them driving through town to see the Christmas lights and they thought that was super.

Your child is old enough to expect something for Christmas. I think you should get something inexpensive for her that you know she will enjoy. A 4 year old would be happy with just 1 present and a Christmas tree. But not to do anything at all is just sad.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I agree that I would get her something reasonable. The dollar stores do have a lot of great options and you could probably get her quite a few things for as little as $20.00. I just found a glow-in-the-dark mini fishtank kit for my daughter and it was on sale at Walmart for $15.00. It was inexpensive but she will absolutely love it!
    Anonymous

• She deserves a couple of presents. NO child should get nothing. Go to the dollar section at Target and get puzzles, books, etc. You don't have to spend a lot to get her some gifts. There are so many nice things that you can get for under $20. Walmart has a lot too. I would spend about $50 on her and use the other $50 on things you need.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Make a little stocking for her. Michaels has some great things for a buck or two as does Target. Even if you just get her a coloring book, some crayons, and a small stuffed animal it'll come in at under $10 but it gives her something to unwrap. You can also kill two birds with one stone. Get her a bed and some nice bedding that she'll like. Check craigs list and such or even look for local charities that might help you with that stuff. We have one locally called the Wish Project that helps low income families set up their new homes. I'm not in a tight money situation but my son wants to redo his bedroom so I made a blanket and bought a pillow to go with his chosen theme as presents. Nothing wrong with practical pressies and nothing wrong with second hand pressies either, especially on big items like beds.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2009